Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Its time!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, Feb 23, 2004.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

Ive got a little situation, Im a poor 20 yr old that needs a k5, ive been on this site for 4-5 yrs now learning and hoping one day i can join you guys. Like i said im poor i have about 4-5 grand to spend on my rig, im in love with the first gen , something about the classic look just draws me in, will a second gen be the way to go concidering my budget? What should i look for in a k5, half way built or one as stock as can be that some grandpa had in his garage? Im thinking a second Gen would be cheaper due to parts and overall age of the rig, But i love those first gens, What u guys think? First gen and why, or second gen and why. Any info on either side will help. Any other gm rigs similar to the k5 that would cheaper. I wanna wheel and build i cant wait anymore. ty for your time

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is the classic decision: built vs. stock. If you want a modified truck and are on a tight budget, then buying a modified truck is a good way to go. You always lose money building up a vehicle and then selling it, as your mods go for pennies on the dollars spent.

A lift is like $400, tires and wheels $500 minimum. New gears are about $500 if you can do it yourself, $1000 if you can't, so you can see how quickly it all adds up. And that's how much under the total budget you need to buy the stock truck. So basically, if you have $4500 to spend, you have to find a built truck for $4500, a stock one for $2500 or something somewhere in the middle.

My question is: how can you live without a Blazer? Get one, already!

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My question is: how can you live without a Blazer? Get one, already!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or go one better and get a BURB /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, Its hard to live without one,What makes it even harder is my friend has a first gen that sold his 67 bronco for. He was looking at the K5 for me to buy and test drove it and ended up buying it. When i saw him drive into my driveway with his K5 i didnt know if i was happy or sad!

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

first thing I would recommend a build one since you have a budget, I see 3/4 ton blazers go for under 4 grand on here alot, second..I would buy one from another state to keep the rust to a minimum /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

post up a add in the wanted section and see what falls your way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Are 1st Gens a lot more expensive than 2nds in Idaho? I bought my 1st Gen in Wyoming rust free for $900. I brought it with me when I moved to Arizona and everyone went ape over it cause its a 1st Gen, I had no idea.... Ive had people flagging me down on the freeway, leaving notes on my windshield and ringing my doorbell wanting to buy it. I think they are all cool...1st and 2nd Gens. For $4,500 you should be able to get a really good start....have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

No the initial buy isnt any more expensive, But being able to maintain and keep trail worthy is. On my friends rig we are replacing things constantly and while we replace one thing we see more things that need to be replaced or fixed. Its a constant fix not much time and money after fixing it to improve or upgrade it. He also has a "the parents" budget which is larger then mine and he is having a hard time to afford it. Idaho doesnt have to much rush its pritty dry here. Thier is many farms and many old rigs with little population so thiers alot of trucks and parts here, you just have to go door to door. Alot of pack rats with personal junk yards hehe.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like i said im poor i have about 4-5 grand to spend on my rig,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're poor, what the hell am I?? Consider yourself lucky to have more than $500! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

lol im living at home still so i can afford one!!

10. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Around here the 1st gen's seem to go for quite a bit more than the 2nd, though I think the later ones are catching up, for a clean truck. As much as I would love to have an early one, the parts are so cheap and easy to find for a later one. Besides I bought my 74 for 500, with some luck it is now 1 ton w/ 39.5's and I still have less than 2000 total into it. Being able to do everything yourself can make a big difference also. Tool prices can add up though.
    I would suggest a 79 or later due to some differences in the wiring and accesories that make replacements easier to find.
    Brett [​IMG]

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    But being able to maintain and keep trail worthy is. On my friends rig we are replacing things constantly and while we replace one thing we see more things that need to be replaced or fixed. Its a constant fix not much time and money after fixing it to improve or upgrade it

[/ QUOTE ] Well there is no way around that at all, newest k5 is 13 years old 1991 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You just got to do it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah luk3, thats how it was in WY, a lot of farm rigs sitting around. Get what you want first off, dont buy a 2nd Gen, end up with 5K in it and then sell it later for $3500 so you can buy a 1st Gen. I cant see why it would cost any more to keep a 72 on the road than a 74. They are all old now! If you buy a 1st Gen put HEI on it and an internally regulated alternator, that will help keep it more reliable. Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Keep looking at both first gens and second just keep waiting for the truck that feels right to you. You will find one or should I say "It" will find you.

Just keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm K5 /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You might want to place a wanted add on local farmer/rancher web sites. Alot of those have free classified adds. That's how I found my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

Alrite thanks guys