Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

its truggy time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jun 14, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i get to build a truggy for my friend. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    the body is trash and we just built a motor for him, not gonna scrap a $2000 motor, so were gonna put it to use.

cab and doors are the only sheet metal thats allowed on this thing, cab is gonna be moved back till its centered in the frame (short bed) and were gonna move the engine/tranny/tcase back to add some weight to the rear. its gonna be moved far enough so the front and rear shafts are the same lenght.

were building it for mud and for the dunes. its gonna be done with little $$$, but its gonna be built right.

got a few questions though.
    the only thing i can't figure out in my head is how to move the motor mounts, havent sat down to think about it, but anyone have some ideas?

is 1.5" tube enough for a roll cage if its built correctly? its the only die i have. i plan on useing .134 wall if not thicker.

i definetely will take plenty of pics of this during the build up. probably start this next week /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif im stoked to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would think it would be easier to make a new crossmember than to bridge to the original frame location from the motor. Or get a motor plate and use that . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

welcom to the darkside /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

thats what im thinking, making a new cross member. just need to figure out how, and where first. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Read through lots of posts in the Center of Gravity, look at lots of pics in the members galleries. People here have done cool stuff to their trucks, get some ideas from them. Hopefully someone will relate their story for you. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Would it be any easier to extend the front of the frame and move the front axle way forward? Then your engine trans transfer case doesn't need to move. Basically figure the length of the rear shaft and the front shaft split the difference and now you know how far the front axle needs to go forward. Move your front spring hangers that far and walla!

7. big83chevy4x4

it seems easier to move the engine and tranny than to extend the frame move the front axle and move the rear axle. if we had the $$$ i would just build a new frame. i really need to look at it and figure something out, just no time right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif