Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've been bitten by the offroad bug!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4machine, Feb 10, 2002.

1. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

I\'ve been bitten by the offroad bug!!

Hi everyone, i've just joined, and I want to buy my first Blazer/Jimmy. I know nothing about 4x4's, but i want to learn, and reading previous posts help alot too. I just have a few questions.

1. What should i look for in a blazer/jimmy when buying one? Body shape and rust mean nothing, the rustier the better, engine is not a problem, i have a 350 that i built last spring, and there seems to be alot of 73-80 blazer/jimmy's around my place for around $1000-5000. I would like to keep this in the lower region of the price range.

2. What should i look for in diff's, tranny's, and x-fer cases? no overdrive is ok. I won't really be going in to any waist deep goo, maybe 1 foot of mud at most, alot in the snow, and some crawling. Which axles would be best?

3. I am liking the idea of 35inch tires, and a 4inch lift, and i don't know what gears to do, 2700-3000rpm at 65mph would be nice (mileage isn't a problem, it won't be a daily driver)

4. with this 4inch lift, what would i have to extend? driveshafts, brake lines, linkages?

5. Lockers, posi? I don't quite understand the concept of locking hubs, and i was thinking of a detriot locker or a posi in the back, and leaving the front open. Is a detroit locker driveable on the street?

-again body and interior shape mean nothing to me, i just want a good running drivetrain.

-Emissions is no problem either up here in Canada

(sorry about all the questions, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks)

drive it like you stole it

2. PAVEVENT SUCKS

PAVEVENT SUCKS Registered Member

Re: I\'ve been bitten by the offroad bug!!

just dont do what i did,i found a k5,fell in love,took it home,then noticed all the body work needed,especially under the carpet,that was two years ago,still not finished,if your not giong in the deep stuff,you can probually get by with ,4 inch lift & a set of 33's,im still running stock gears,no lockers,and havent got stuck,YET,anyways

80 k5 38.5 tsl's,3inch body ,6inch suspension

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

when you buy make sure it runs good, listen to it for any weird sounds etc... make sure there are no leaks, and if there are make sure its nothing major.
    For differentials and trannies etc, many people who sell arent gunna have beefy axles and what not, plus if you are just doing mud etc, you can just go ahead and stay with the 10bolt axles. Anyhting you get make sure you can get a good torque converter and tranny cooler lines, these cooler lines are almost neccesary running bigger than stock tires.
    Uhm you could always go for the sm465 4spd manual tranny wich is really strong.

With a 4" you can do a t-case drop and brake line extensions and new steering arm. And i think thats about it.
    With 35's 4.11's woujd be good without overdrive, i have 35's and 4.56 and i rev exactly 3k driving on the highway, i try not to go above that.

Locking hubs is just so you can get into 4wd and has nothing to do with lockers/posi. Bassically open differntial means most of your power goes to the tire with the least traction in mud, etc. If you get a locker it will ensure both tires to spin at the same speed only when you gas it, limited slip of posi will "try" to get the other tire to spin but usaully not at the same speed. then you have spools wich are permanently making your tires spin at the same speed. and youw ill chirp your tires around turns alot and wear out tires fast and put more stress on the drivetrain. Usually people leave the front open becuase its easier to steer. Detroit is definately drivable on the street. And limited slips such as the eaton or auburn are even more streetable. Spools have "rude" street manners but are cheaper.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

4. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

The 10 bolt uses the 8.5inch ring and not the smaller ring gear? (I forget the size, i think about 7.25 or something)

-From what i understand, if i were to put the truck in 4wd, without the hubs locked, it would do nothing, the axle would just spin freely inside the housing?

-Also should I bother switching blocks, I already have a built up 350, with about 325-350hp. I could just drop that inplace of the other probably worn out engine?

-Are some years of blazers/jimmy's better than others, i have a wide variety to choose from.

-Also (sorry about so many questions), how would i go about lowering the transfer case?

thanks
    &lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by 4x4machine on 02/10/02 11:18 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 4x4machine on 02/10/02 11:28 PM.</FONT></P>

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

ok. i do believe the 10 that came on the blazers are the 8.5" ring. ok yer right. the 4wd won't work without the hubs locked. but if you have automatic lockin hubs you will put it in 4wd when u pull the lever to 4wd. so a manual locking hub would be the best. if ya have that built up 350 find a k5 that has no workin engine in it. you can find em for real cheap. like say 500 bucks. good deal. since u really don't care bout body that would be yer best bet lookin fer one without an engine or one that don't run. i believe that the 78 and below blazers have the better axles stock in them. most of em have the 12 bolt rear and dana 44 front. if u want a full convertible blazer look for the 74 below years. they have em. a 4 inch lift with 35's is a great setup. ya might hafta cut the fender some but that ain't too hard. it'll look and perform good. i would suggest springs all the way around or better yet 4 inch front springs and the 4 inch rear shackle flip that ORD sells. thats seems to be a favorite. u said earlier that u would do some crawlin. in that case a good combo for the tranny xfercase would be the sm465 and the np208 as they have low gears and can crawl a good amount. like derek(txsizek5) said earlier the lower gears plus that setup is great. he has em and he can crawl easily. the sm465 is a manual tranny but if ya like automatic i would look for the th400 or the th350. their stronger than the 700r4. ya said ya didn't want overdrive so ya might as well get the stronger ones. well thats all that i can tell ya just about. i don't know a whole lot bout lockers and all that. lowering the xfer case i wouldn't know but some other people will tell ya. sorry for the long reply. just givin some advice. the experts should be able to give a precise details bout alot. just tellin what i know. well hope this helps. later.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?