Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've been screwed by my dealer!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Dec 11, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I\'ve been screwed by my dealer!!!

Okay guys heres the scoop

You all know we have a new Duramax- well today it went in to have something fixed- I think a steering shaft thing (long story but its not fixed) so John told the service guy who we have never met before - to do the 3000 mile service- they did

Here's a break down
    SCHED 1 Plan a , oil/filter- check adjust all fluid levels, lubricated chassis, inspected front and rear fluids, cv joint, and axle seals-- Okay sounds simple- here's the catch
    $14.95 for the "package"
    19.37 for the filter
    2 QT "DELVA " oil, 6.28 each- 12.96 total
    2 Delvac 5/40 GALLONS oil 38.14 each- total 76.28
    parts total $108.61 parts/labor total 123.56

3K rear axle service
    Perform rear axle service for locking rear differential at 3000 mile service
    49.00 for "package"

4 Gear oil 8.800 (size??) at 32.76 EACH total 131.04
    parts total $131.04 parts/labor total 180.04

SO to have my 3k check-up, it cost me---303.60

did I get screwed or what?? John didn't talk to them, they dropped the truck off at his shop this afternoon- with the keys etc.. just left it so he didn't see anyone- but the point is this, should that have cost that much? Supposedly we are not suppose to have that rear axle thing ever again- we better not and that stuff better be made out of liquid platnum! Any ideas why this stuff was so expensive? I mean why is my oil filter almost 20 bucks? is that the price of runnind a diesel? Anyone know? thanks!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'ve been screwed by my dealer!!!

That all sounds about right. The oil filter might be a little high, but it's about right. Diesels are great motors, but they take a lot of oil on oil changes and the oil filters are huge. Does ya'lls warrentee say that you have to take the truck to the dealer or could you do some of that stuff yourself?

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's almost as certain as death and taxes that if you go to a dealership for any kind of service, they will screw you hard. They will charge full list retail for every part, full flat-rate-book time for every little thing that they do (even if it actually takes them WAY less time than that to complete the task) and then add in other little things like "supplies" which is just a nice way of saying "extra profit margin". But $6.28 per quart for engine oil and $32.76 per quart for gear oil is the most royal screwing I've heard about in a long time! I buy Mobil-1 pure synthetic engine oil for about $3.50 a quart and their synthetic geal oil is around $8 a quart. And the Mobil-1 costs way more than plain old dino-juice!

Now you understand why so many of us here do ALL our own work on our rigs. [​IMG] We have four 4WD trucks and none of them have been to a dealer since we've owned them, unless it was for an under-warranty repair!!!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Im going to call my dealer today- and talk to the owner, remember this is the place we have bought to many trucks to remember. Normally we don't do anything at the dealer except warranty work, but John has been working 18 hour days since turkey day, and he said ahh heck with it, its already there etc.. just do it. I was just worried I was being paranoid. The one thing that gets me, is the price of the fluids. If they can tell me they are made out of some super special stuff, than maybe, but im not so sure.I do have the GM part #'s, and Im off to see how much they cost here on line- I'll let you know. I am starting to think that maybe the new service guy just didn't know who we were, or the amount of business we give the front desk people, and maybe the price is right, we just have never paid full price for anything before? Who knows,,,ill keep ya posted
    --Brandy

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

they burned you on the engine oil cost. I use Rotella 15-40 in my cummins and it is only about 8 bucks a gallon.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay called the dealer today- first spoke to a service "advisor" and basically just said, I have a 01 duramax ,ready for the 3k checkup etc... what can I expect for price-- he said about 300 LOF and rear axle. so I said okay thank you, called another dealer- said same thing, got same answer- so I decided to call our dealer back, spoke to same "advisor" and said, WHY is this [censored] so expensive? Basically his reply was " you change the rear axle stuff at 3k, as recommended, by a dealer- or warranty is void- it then has to be done at 15k intervals, by a dealer etc..... so I said, okay so We put 5k miles on this thing, since 10-30, thats a month and a half- so I'm thinking every 3-4 months, I am going to have to shell out 300 bucks? WTF! So I said, after the 3k, does it still have to be done by a dealer to keep my warranty, and his reply was "no, but it should be" my reply was, well, you have now put the LAST fluids in my truck that you EVER will, but it will be back in February for the "recall" that is coming out then- and procedded to ask for the owner- spoke to Todd, (owner) told him the price etc.. seems we have never paid full price, we always get the parts/supplies at cost, and the new "advisor" didn't know that... so John is stopping down today afterwork to get the $$ back,,,, nice guy huh! so I guess in the end, it does pay to have a relationship with the dealer-

--Brandy

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

You can buy Rotella T 15W-40, at most farm supply stores for $5.95 Ouch on what you paid!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

That sounded high too me to, so (out of curiosity) I chacked it out at my dealer.
    A 2001 H/D with a Duramax/Allison/11.5 rear diff.
    As per SI2000 (Service manuals), under hard-driveing conditions: 3 months/7500 miles, requires a.
    -LOF (lube-oil-filter) + check levels, ect..
    -Rear diff sevice, if after proper break in, it is used for heavy towing for 800 miles or more.

-OR-

As per SI2000. Under "normal" driveing conditions: At 12 months (!/?) or 12000 miles (!/?) requires a,
    - L.O.F. + check levels, ect...

Thats it, no diff service. That sounds way-too long to me. So I also checked an owners manual. It was less spicific, and also had some discrepencies (S/P?). But more-or-less, said the samething.
    For what it's worth, I would recomend the following:
    3/3000 miles, change engine oil and rear diff. After proper break-in, get some fresh fluids in-it, and start counting from there (0/0). Reset the Engine Oil Life indicator by turning the ign. key to run (engine off) and depress the excell pedal to the floor 3 times, the light should flash, indicating the E.O.L. indicator has been reset (recheck the procedure in the owners manual). By the way, the E.O.L. indicator counts RPMs, temp and some other stuff too, it does not count miles or dates. I would guess, that the E.O.L. indicator is part of a program to satisifie the E.P.A. demands for lower hazardst wast management- judgeing by the extreamly long service intervils. So take it with a grain of salt. But, I know the new engines are extreamly well built and have better than avage life expetencies. The few 4.6/5.3/6.0 engines I've seen apart, show almost no sighns of wear- you could reuse the bearings, they are that clean!. I would assume the Duramax is the sameway.

Depending on how you run it. Change the oil at around 5000 to (maybe) 10000 miles, or if the E.O.L. indicator comes on during that time. Thats based on the factory rating and "gut" feeling. f you tow regularly, or dunk the rear axle in water (like when unloading a boat)- have the rear gear lube checked for water contamination. Other-wise, it will probably will not need to be service again, until 50-100 miles.

10 qts of 15/40 CH-4 or RH-5 (something like that) for diesels only at $5.50 a qt. G.M. P/N.
    4 qts of 75/90 synth-gear oil at $25 a qts. -[ouch!] G.M. P/N.
    Our service adisor said "$165 total -out-the-door."

Genneral Motors wants you to be happy with you truck, as do I !

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

HarryH3: "They (service techs) will charge full falt-rate-book time for every little thing that they do."

Mr. HarryH3,
    Flat-Rate is a b!tch on both-sides of the check.
    I've won some, and loose some, somewhere down the line (I hope) it evens out. I agree, it's not the best system, but it's all there is. How else are you going to charge for a job? Thet better and faster I get at doing a "task" the less I charge? -That doesn't make much sense, does it? The better tools I own (some $20,000 plus invested and going up), or more training I take or get - the less I charge? - I need to make a liveing too.

HarryH3: "If you take it to a dealer, they will screw you."

Again, as in the reply to Mudknurl. G.M./dealerships/techs -do what they can to keep the customer happy. Thats just good buisness practice. It's not a easy job to do, people will complain (and tell everyone they know) quicker if they are disapointed with a product or service, than if they are happy with it. The proof is right here on the CK5 boards, take a look at all the negative posts/replies -vs- the positive. Thats the way people are, I' am the same way.

HarryH3: (high-priced dealer parts)

I agree, in some cases, dealer prices are extreamly high. Just recently, I got a head-light from our parts department for my own Blazer. (are you stting?) $24! Yeah-right, like I'm going to put a $24 head-light in a $200 Blazer. I had them get me a $8 doller A.M. headlight- and it works just as well as the G.M. part.
    But
    On the flip-side, I will not install A.M. brake pads (for example, the list is end-less) on anything I own, and will highly reccomend certain G.M. parts depending on the application.

HarryH3: "Now you understand why so meny of us here do our own work"

Absolutely! I work on my own junk, there's nothing like it! Not to sound goofy, but working on your own stuff gets a person thinking about how things work, and thinking is allways highly reccomended. I consider my-self with above avarage ability, but I still "ship-out" jobs I don't feel comfortable with, if I think someone else can do it better, than I let them have at it. When I get it back, I check out everything. So that the next time I'll be more informed, than I was.

Thats all, I hope it helps you (HarryH3) see the other side of the "check".

Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You didn't get screwed. If you have bought several cars there or trucks I would think that you should be a familiar face
    there and have a regular service advisor. If the new guy helped you and you paid full pop thats a bummer. It does not mean you got screwed. They get paid for their work just like everyone else. They won't give you a break unless you ask for it. Owning a brand new diesel that takes synthetic fluids and holds 3 or 4 more quarts of oil than a gas motor is not cheap to maintain. You still didn't get scewed. Buddy up with a service advisor. Take him-her a bottle of liquor for xmas and
    see how it goes after that. Dealerships do cost more, but nine
    times outa ten you get what you paid for. Trained service techs or a general mechanic putting the wrong fluids in your brand-new rig. Sorry but I work at a Chevrolet dealer and it pains me when someone goes to a dealer and cries foul when they dont get the jiffy-lube price.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I like this guy!

Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thank You...
    Jim

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Jim, while I agree with you , you didn't read the entire post- It was stated that this was "new " adivsor, that we had not met, we did not pick up the rig, they dropped it off, therefore, we had no idea what the price was ( we have an account).. however, after speaking with the owner, it was corrected. I don't need to and wont build a relationship with an advisor for the simple reason of this- he has no control over what I pay/get etc.. you gotta move up- which is why I called the owner, he knows what he own, bought from him etc.. the serivce guy hasn't a clue... I do understand how it is when people "cry" and get what they want- I worked at a Travel Agency during 9-11, and people would call screaming about non-refundable tickets, and we would eat the cost....I wasn't looking for a jiffy lube cost, this is the first diesel that we have owned personally, so its the first one we have seen the bill for. the rest of the trucks just get charged, and the billing dept pays the bill.. Hence my concern over the price- Thanks for answering though, oh on a lighter note- you know a LOF, at that dealer comes with fluid fill up checks etc.. after the $$ we spent, our windshield washer was just about empty looks like they forgot that, though I shouldn't complain might have been 8 bucks a gallon!

--Brandy

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Not all dealers are same. My advisors can write "Fleet" and the prices automaticly adjust. Thats good service if they deliver your vehicle to you. If you have an account I hope your set up at fleet wholesale. Like I said not all dealers are the same...-Jim

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Jim and I are tag teaming this one.
    I agree. Your best bet is to find a dealer you like, find a advisor you like (buy him alcoholic beverages) and they will take care of you! Without-a-doubt!
    On my side (as a tech), If I recognize is car or truck that comes in repidedly, I take extra speicial care of it. I let the advisor know of services, leaks, things to watch out-for, even reccomend service-washes if needed. It also builds a history (repairs or services done) that might help the Tech diganose problems. It all starts with finding a place you are comfortable with, and building from there.

Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You ARE the man !!!

17. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

The way I see it, dealers aren't different from anyone else. Some are better then others and the better you know the people who work there, the better off you are. Also the more they know, you know about your truck, the better off you are. If they know they can't stick you with Blinker Fluid and un-needed service, they won't try.

One tip on taking stuff to any mechanic. If it's feasible, take the new parts there yourself. I had new U-Joints pressed into my driveshaft at a dealer. He asked if I had brought in new U-Joints and I shoulda said what a sec, I'll go get some. But instead I got $45.00, GM U-Joints put into my truck that are identical to the $15.00 ones I coulda got down at ABC auto.

You live and learn....

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

18. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I think most mechanics would not wan't or allow you to bring your own parts to them- for 2 different reasons- 1st most of them get there parts at say 10% discount, then sell them to you with the 10% marked up- hence a profit- 2nd, how can they guarantee the kind of parts you are bringing them-- they have no recorse on what they just put in your rig--

with our new truck- we had no choice but to go to the dealer and get the fluids changed, hopefully we wont have any warranty work need to be done, however if we had not done this, it would have voided our warranty- plain and simple, on a 45k truck, I'm not willing to void my warranty- but all is straightened out now, we have a different dealer doing the service part of it, and will continue to buy our rigs, and parts from this one, even though there service sucks!
    --Brandy

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Maby someone can correct me if I an wrong. BUT. Isint it now illeagal for a dealer to require that a vehicle can only be serviced by a dealer or the dealer service shop.?
    I thought that as long as the proper approved fluids and approved parts were used and you keep the reciept showing this was done. You can take your vehicle anywhere to get it serviced. Or service it yourself. Without voiding the warentee.

20. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Try about 300-400 percent mark-up. My wife just took her truck in because the throttle was sticking. We assumed this repair would be covered be the extended warranty, WRONG! They pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed a can of carb cleaner down the throttle bores to remove the carbon buildup(at 38k miles!) and charged me $33.50 for a half hour labor and $18.97 for a two dollar can of carb cleaner. Then after voicing my complaint the service writer told me it wasn't uncomon for her to see vehicles come back every 10k miles with this problem. Sounds to me like a design flaw and a safty issue the GM should step up and take care of! My truck has already been in once for this problem, but it was within the 3/36 warranty. You sure don't get much service for your $35K dollar investment!

$67.00 an hour for labor is rediculous! I guess that is to pay the mechanics back for all of the overpriced Snap-on tools that they buy!!! [​IMG]

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!