Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ive been thinking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 23, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I have heard some of you guys talking about installing a fuel injection setup on you 86 and older engines. How hard is this to do whats involved in it and what kit is the best to do it with if you have any prices that would help also.

Thanks Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depdog has recently done the conversion. He usually does a write up on Off-Road.com but I just checked and it hasn't been added. He would be a good person to get an idea from. AZ Blazer has also done the conversion. TheRobZilla has done a TPI conversion and I think BobK has also.
    I'm looking at dropping a TPI motor into my 70 burb but that will be a way off.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i am about to install an 85 camaro tpi system on my 350. i dont expect to have too many problems except for the VSS sensor. you have to decide on which FI system you want to go with. TPI or TBI. once you figure that out it will depend on your budget as to what you purchase. I choose a OEM Chevy TPI system because of cost. They can usually be had for anywhere from $300- $1000 bucks depending on upgrades and how complete they are. Mine was 450 bucks but all i have to buy (hopefully) is a fuel pump ($60-300), new fuel lines, and an air cleaner. Everything else was included in the "package". An oem TBI system can be had for as low as $200 bucks. The aftermarket systems get real expensive so if money is tight that wont be an option.

Choosing a FI system is a pain in the butt. I searched and searched till i was sick of it and finally i found the best way for me to go. Just keep reading until you make up your mind!

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Overall it is a very straightforward conversion. Need to have all the hardware off the donor car, add an electric fuel pump (high pressure for TPI or low pressure for TBI) and a wiring harness. Some use the factory harness off the donor car but that's hard to get completely intact and makes more work than it saves $$. I used a Painless Wiring harness for my TPI conversion............all plug and play with labeled connectors. Makes is simple. One of the other factors is to have access to a chip burner - either a person you know or one of the many available (www.fuelinjection.com, www.turbocity.com, among others online. VSS and VATS (if your donor had both of those) will need to either be programmed out or a way to use them figured out (had them removed for my conversion). Gotta add an O2 sensor bung but no biggie. Lots of good resources are available, surf those sites above and ask a lot of questions. Converting to TPI was one of the best things I have done - and would do it again in a heartbeat, especially now that I have learned a lot more after the fact in theory and operation.

Price depends on a lot of things.............availability, your level of ability, etc. A full on kit from a company specializing in these conversions will obviously cost a bit more $$ than finding a donor vehicle with the hardware and doing all the work/research/parts scrounging yourself.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>