Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've been unknowingly in possession of stolen property

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 11, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I\'ve been unknowingly in possession of stolen property

Back in late January, I was at a friend's garage and saw that he had just gotten a used Warn 8074 winch on a homemade multi-mount cradle that was made to plug into a receiver hitch. He traded a transmission for it. He made me a deal on the winch, cradle, and a Warn Classic bumper for $200 in trade. I jumped on that. I got it from him and mounted it onto my Suburban.

It's been on my Suburban since late January/Early February. So, today, a guy calls on my ad for some 16.5x9.75 Solid Center Aluminum Wheels. I didn't want to sell them, but I figured if I could get $400 cash for the set (exactly what I paid for them), I'd let them go since I needed the cash. (I've been advertising a bunch of my stuff recently just to get cash, but no one usually ever buys or even calls /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif .)

The guy came to look at the wheels, and when he saw the Suburban, immediately recognized the winch cradle. It was one that he had welded together last year and he said it with the winch got stolen last winter. He even had a picture of that very winch and cradle at home, told me exactly how he built it, that he paid $400 for the winch, how many times he had used it, and when/how it got stolen. He had a police report filed on it back in December (last winter) just after it was stolen.

I'm thinking, great! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif This winch Ive had and used for 3/4 of a year isnt even mine. Of course, the guy would like it back, since it is his stolen property, and I don't blame him. I know my friend that I got it from didn't steal it, so looks as if we may be tracking down this character he got it from.

In the meanwhile, in an attempt to right things, I keep speaking with the rightful owner of my winch, and of course in the time span of 10 months, he had gone out and purchased a new multi-mount cradle and Warn XD9000i. So I ask him if he would want to sell the winch that I've had for 9 months, and he proposes a trade for the wheels I was selling. So I agree without much thought in an effort to resolve this without having to give up my Suburban's winch.

Done deal, and the rightful owner is taken care of. I talked with Steve who I got the winch from, and he of course says he will make it right with me for the $200 in stuff I traded to him.

And so here I am...giving away a set of wheels that I paid $400 for and receiving $200 worth of trade back from the guy I got the winch from. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess that making things right (that I didnt even know were wrong to begin with) isn't always profitable. At least though the owner finally got re-paid for what was rightfully his.

What a weird day.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: I\'ve been unknowingly in possession of stolen property

damn that sucks but i am glad to see YOU made things right for the guy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif you are a stand up guy in my book /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. mountainexplorer

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Yeah, I'd rather be out $200 than be driving around with something that wasnt rightfully mine. I know that if I had something stolen, I'd hope someone would make it right with me.

Just hasnt been my year though for getting ahead money-wise. I've had a 205 T-case for a TH350 and a 12 bolt rear with 3.73's stolen, taken 2 different trades on trucks in which I got a lesser in value trade, and Ive managed to somehow owe different people I know over $6000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Maybe I should get out of the used parts business and get a real job /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif .

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's not meny people who will make things right. I don't buy stolden property if I know it, but it might be kinda hard to turn down a hot Dana 60 for a couple hundred bucks. Glad nobody is offering me one.

5. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just out of curiosity. Did you have to make a police report that you were in possession of stolen property and you made amends with the rightful onwer? It seems like this problem may come back to haunt you if the police don't know. Or maybe it is more hassle to let them know? Is there a lawer here on this board willing to give free advice?
    Oh man, I just asked three questions in a row.

6. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

If there was a rating system here, I would be giving you the highest marks. You show a character that is quikly disapearing. I think alot of people would have only offered to sell it back to him, making him double victomized. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

More power to you for doing the right thing. My hat is off to you. Glad you're a CK5er! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Good Job. Sounds like that guy was pretty cool too. He could have just called the cops.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get ahold of the guy and ask him if he had gone back to the po-po to drop the report. Better safe than sorrry. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You did the right thing, too, offering and trading. It's better to have done this rather than have a record on you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Make sure you have a bill of sale/trade for the winch so if it ever comes up you can prove what the deal was.

11. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

you did right! I'm the kind that would have done the same.
    you also lucked out in that it was 'that easy' to cure.
    GET a bill of sale as reaper says. keep in mind that he already might have been compensated by insurance also. hmmmm. It is a small world (especially with the internet) and what comes around goes around as they say. DAVE

12. mountainexplorer

Thanks everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I'm going to be sure we write out a bill of sale of some sort when he comes over to get the wheels tonight. Plus, I want to make sure he notifies the police that the stolen winch has been recovered/situation resolved.

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yah did good! I'm glad to see you did the right thing even though it cost you. says alot for your true character.

14. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

You did the right thing!

We cant support thieves... it puts our own gear at risk. We can kick some dirt bags a$$ for sellin us stolen stuff and putting us in awkward poitions... If ever I heard a good reason for an A$$ kickin thievin is it.

too bad good karma wont pay for groceries..

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We cant support thieves... it puts our own gear at risk. We can kick some dirt bags a$$ for sellin us stolen stuff and putting us in awkward poitions... If ever I heard a good reason for an A$$ kickin thievin is it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    to hell with that!!!!! if i catch someone steeling my stuff id rather just shoot them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i hate theives /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. mountainexplorer

Speaking of thieves, Stupid me didnt lock the Crew cab last night and I left it on the street with 2 books for my accounting class inside. I came out this morning to get ready to go out to the ORV park with friends, and my drivers door wasnt latched. I looked inside and the console, ash tray and glove box were all wide open, and my bag with the two books was gone along with any spare change I had.

Then I was walking by my '68 Chevy 2wd in the driveway which I brought back last week to fix up, and the door wasnt latched on it. A look inside revealed an opened ashtray, but nothing taken.

I even had left all my tools out by the porch, but luckily, those werent missing.

Just not my weeks I guess.