Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i've come back to the flock...( bit windy )

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 29, 2001.

i\'ve come back to the flock...( bit windy )

my k5 is sitting in a pile in the back garage, collecting dust beside my mother's 65 mustang, another not-quite-finished project.. there's no rear axle underneath, just a piece of 2x2 in the receiver, held up by a jackstand... there's a 1-ton 14bolt against the back wall, spring perches removed to be re-spaced, and a heap of pistons, heads and block that was to be the motor... 4" lift in the other corner...

it almost was going to stay that way for a long time.. 'twas jetski season, so all my efforts went to that since march or so... now it's winding down ( actually not till november here in TX) and it's time for 4wd again. I also own a 2000 toyota tacoma ( actually chase auto finance does)... it's nice, light, rugged, fairly good on gas, fits into small places, etc.. i started to think, damn, why don't i build this thing up? sure, four inches of lift cost 1350, compared to what, 260 for the k5? yeah. four inches of lift, and three inches of bodylift, and with no swaybar you still rub 33/12.5's..... forget it... i went out to the llano river here in texas with some range rover guys... their straight axles had me jealous, this IFS business is just straight scary... ( if you want an easily modified inexpensive vehicle, don't buy a rangie! 740 for 2", just 4 coils and shocks, plus another 80 for the bushings to correct the killer vibrations the two inches causes.... forget it...but when done right, they're good, real good..)

anyway, it's full steam ahead with the k5, starting when i get its new motor from the demolition derby oldsmobile station wagon i plan to bash on the 14th of september ( unless i blow the motor, in which case it'll make a nice core..)

i'll take some pictures.....

PS this board is still hands-down the best i frequent, the tacoma boards are filled with stuff like 'how can i make my gauge cluster a cool flourescent color' or 'do you like my woodgrain dash?' and other useless (IMO) stuff....

greg ( sorry im so windy)

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Re: i\'ve come back to the flock...( bit windy )

Hey Doc and fellow Texan..
    Round Rock Texas here.. and we have a group of K5er's here in the Austin area that go to the "Slab" pretty regularly.
    I just finished my 1-ton conversion on mine.. and my friend Thomas aka Stoopalini is finishing up his..

It's a shame to let the greatest off-road vehicle sit in the garage..
    Let me know.. email is on my profile.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rocko on 08/30/01 08:10 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

austin texas k5er here too. i could use a seat on a slab run if anyone is willing to leave their wife at home. my 83 is just not ready for any rock crawlin yet.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

You're 83 more than ready..
    I've been to the Slab when my 83 was stock.. she did fine..
    And ask Blazerguy.. he went out there with us last time in his stock truck.. also did great..
    Then there is Stoopalini... he went out there with his stock truck.. get the picture? [​IMG]
    It's all about how you drive your truck.. pick your line's carefully.. and know your truck's limitations... you would do fine..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com