Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've converted my friend...he now owns a K5 too!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I\'ve converted my friend...he now owns a K5 too!!!!

A buddy of mine has been toying with the idea of buying a K5 ever since he saw mine. He really wanted a '69-72, but he just found a newer one that he just couldn't refuse.... about an hour ago he pulled into my driveway in a grey/red 1988 K5, and a big sh*t eating grin on his face....!!!

I am really happy for him....it's so funny to hear a "new guy" carry on about how cool it is to have a REAL truck and how it's so much better than buying a brand new SUV, and how he can't wait to start fixing it up.......it really takes me back to the good 'ol days (6 months ago!) when I first started obsessing over my own K5!!!! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm in a bit of trouble because all of my research has been on the early K5's.....and I know that for the most part the 1973 - 1987 were very interchangeable with each other. With his being an '88, has he missed out on all the "plentiful and relatively cheap" upgrade parts? Can someone tell me in 1000 words or less what limitations he will have with his '88? I may as well start getting answers now, because I know that he'll be coming to me in no time with lots of questions.

For now he CLAIMS that he will just drive it AS-IS....and not try to do anything to crazy to it. But about an hour later he's asking...."So do they make a 4" lift kit for this thing? Would 35's fit under these fenders?" [​IMG]

Welcome to the addiction buddy!!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I\'ve converted my friend...he now owns a K5 too!!!!

Good deal! As for the interchange issue. suspension is still the same Only thing is he has a crappy 10 bolt. The issues with the 700r4 were for the most part corrected by 88. And he has FI so better gass millage and no off camber or up hill stalls for him.. Overall other than that 10 bolt he has got himself a good truck. And just to really hack you off he will probably get 18mpg on the hwy. [​IMG]

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

3. Greg72

Cool thanks for the info Mr Reaper! [​IMG]

He is trying to be realistic about the upgrade stuff since it's his ONLY vehicle at the moment. As much as I'm sure he'd love to work on it, it's almost impossible....no way to get to the parts store if you forget something, and every project has to be finished before work on Monday morning!!!

Nice to know that what he has will be a solid 'driver' until he can get himself a 2nd Blazer for tinkering on! [​IMG]

-Greg72

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

greg72, my friend also bought one after being in mine. his is already sportin some serious stuff, 14 bolt, 3/4 ton front 44, 300 crate motor/headers, caged, no doors or top. it's sweet. all he needs is a locker in the back, not really. he goes almost everywhere i go now. just uses more of the skinny pedal. what blast, when we get to gether an play follow the leader. your lucky to have a friend to go out in the sticks with.

'74 350,t-400/205,d44(L/S),12b(detroit)cutout doors, thrashed an twisted

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

Really the only down side to his truck is that the engine is a little harder to diagnose with all the sensors and the computer than yours is. (unless he has access to all the diagnostics stuff) Other than that, parts are about the same unless you are talking about rebuilding the tranny or replaceing o2 sensors and that kind of stuff. IMO, the ten bolt is not that much weaker than the 12 bolt anyway. (And I have a 12 bolt.) On the plus side, he has TBI so he will get good gas mileage and that is just multiplied when you add in the overdrive 700r4. Oh, and the np208 is not as strong as the 203 or the 205, but he has steeper gears with the 208 and the 700r4. Hes probably more likly to have 3.73s then 3.42s or 3.08s as well.

Sparky

ps I converted 2 friends into buying k5s since I got my turck as well. One bought a 77 and one bought an 83. It's pretty sweet to have peoplo to go wheelin with, but it kind of sucks that I'm not different from them anymore. Oh well, I guess I will have to build my truck bigger and better.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

almost everything is compatible between 73-91, the bodies are the same basic style. The running gear is different, but still. The myth of only 73-87 being compatible deals with the pickups, the pickups changed in 88, the k5's did not, they stayed the same until 91. SO he's all set with interchangeability.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

8. Greg72

MudHog &amp; Everyone....

He will probably not join our "K5 Inner Sanctum" here.... he's a good friend, but I suspect most of the reason he bought his K5 is because he knows that I am already heavily into the research and studying of them....so he'll probably just ask me to help him out a lot with answers.....no big deal really, and it gives us a chance to hang out more.

He actually DOES want to find a 1st Gen K5 as his "fun" vehicle.....his primary driver was totalled not too long ago, so he was under some pressure to find something quickly. As anyone who's shopped for a solid '69-'72 knows......"quick" is not one of the words that applies to a search like that! [​IMG]

So now he's got a solid (and respectable) ride he can get some experience with, and continue looking for his next K5 too. The cool thing is that once he's got 2, he won't be so worried about taking one apart and tackling larger projects....he'll always have 1 that runs (knock on wood.....right, Solowookie?)

A final item worth noting is that his previous vehicle (the one that was totalled) was a Lexus! He says that he is already getting more satisfaction sitting "up high" and being in a big, beefy K5 a whole lot more...... Interesting.

I'm sure you guys will see me asking lots more questions on his behalf in the coming months! [​IMG]

-Greg72
    ....and now apparently Godparent of an '88 as well!

9. Greg72

Oh....something else I forgot to ask about......his '88 has no manual locking hubs up front!? Are these automatic hubs a potential trouble spot for him (reliability-wise).....or do they seem to work just fine for the rest of you?

-Greg72

10. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

My 87 had the auto hubs. I would definitely say to replace them. That actually was the first "upgrade" that I did to mine. Warns are cheap and its a cake job to replace them. It only took me about an hour to do them and that was because I had never done anything like that before. Now that I've done it, it probably wouldnt take nearly that long to do it again. Didnt even have to take the tires off.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Last summer i was converted from a 87 honda to a 91 K5, by '73 k5

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I was converted several years ago when my hubby bought one, then he had to sell it. Well, I decided I wanted one cause I missed his so, so I sold my s-10 and bought my current one.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, I bought mine in 93-94 and was the only one with one for a while. Now my brother has ne, and 2 of my friends have them! [​IMG] Plus there are two others talking about getting them!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>