Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've converted, Newbie here with Pics:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bronckelly, May 8, 2005.

1. Bronckelly

Bronckelly Registered Member

Not too long ago i've drove this 73 Bronco (which I built and restored), and now i drive this....the 71 K5. Very glad to be here, let the project begin. My bronco was sold a few weeks ago, and i just bought the K5 last Friday. I'll be a daily visiter, and I'm looking forward to it. Here's a few pics:

Thanks,

BroncKelly........maybe a name change is in the future??? :D

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i had a hard time postic some different pics too, but there are several mods around here that would be more than willing to help you. Just Press the notify modurator button :thumb: Welcome :thumb:

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome from a former Bronco driver. I had a 85 full size and a 76 EB. Both are sold now
    Don't really miss them. I Like my K5.

4. Bronckelly

I'll get the pics problem fixed soon. A little info on my 71 K5:

1. Tired sb 350
    2. th350 auto tranny (is that what it's called?
    3. I think a np 205 case
    4. d44 front w/ power disc brakes!!!!! I love them coming from a 4 wheel drum Non-power Bronco
    5. 12 bolt rear
    6. PS.....stock susp, stock everything pretty much. No rust!! :D

Future Plans:
    Crate 350, i don't know which one yet.
    Rebuild and keep the tranny
    Same for the np 205, if that's what it is..
    Lower the gearing in the axles, I don't know what it currently is yet. Install heavier axle shafts at least in the rear.
    4" susp. lift I think. 4" springs in the front, 6" in the back right? I want to put 285/75/16 or 315/75/16 all around.
    New soft top, i have a factory hard top in great shape.
    Line-x the interior
    New full roll cage.

And enjoy every minute of it!!! I'm sure to think of PLENTY more future mods daily.
    Now if i can only post the pics!!!! By the way, I'm in Madison, Ga.

BroncKelly

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site! You will find some extremely knowledgeable chevy guys here and a lot of good folks. I'm learning more and more every day.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

welcome to the un-dark side... :haha:

285 75 16s? why not run 15" rims? the tires are cheaper, and size selection is way better. the 315 75 16 is a 35 x 12.50.

7. Bronckelly

Let's try this again...

Pics:

K5 5.JPG

K5 6.JPG

sweet ride.JPG

K5 2.JPG

K5 7.JPG

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Are you trying to attach pics to the forums or upload in the gallery? You should be able to do both but need to narrow it down to find out why it doesn't work for you.
    If you could provide the details in the "Feedback" forum as I don't always get a chance to read all the posts in the garage. and welcome to the site. :D

9. Bronckelly

Those pics are a little big, i apologize. I'll get better at this.

*** About the 285's on 16's, are'nt the stock wheels 16x6? I am leaning towards getting a set of stockers and powdercoating them white like some originals i've seen. I'm not against going with 15" wheels. Where can i find a set of 5 stock wheels? Not the ralley's.

BroncKelly

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

2. th350 auto tranny (is that what it's called?
    yes it is a th350= turbo hydromatic 350

Lower the gearing in the axles, I don't know what it currently is yet. Install heavier axle shafts at least in the rear.

it would be cheaper to just install a 14ff and do a 8 lug conversion on the front or put a dana 60 in front :D

11. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz Registered Member

I'm also a newbie to the world of the bowtie, but my lineage goes a bit further. I've owned too many Toyotas to count, but it's at least 15 (FJ's, pickups and 4Runners), three broncos (74,75 and a 79), and two scouts (66 and a 71), and a 94 HEEP Wrangler which I HATED. I just bought a 70 Blazer from the original owner with also no rust. My build specs are pretty close to yours with the exception of the gear swap, and I also have a SM465 which is probably the best tranny I've ever owned. I'm only going to 33's, so I'm leaving the gears alone. I do too much highway driving. It's currently getting stripped down for paint, and the rest of the mayhem will insue. Good luck with yours. Post pics!!

12. Bronckelly

Mudhog...

Really???? Would a junkyard be the best place to find a 14ff? What kind of cost am i looking at...at least one with drums, gears in the 4's, and new axle shafts? Also. i've never done a conversion on a front to 8 lug. How difficult is it?...and what does it entail? I need to figure all of theis out before i go buy 6 lug tires/wheels that won't fit later.. ;)

Thx,

BroncKelly

13. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

first off: NICE first gen

Second: 8 lug conversion: http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml
    14bolts can be had a most "u-pull-it" junkyards for under 200, but ive seen them go much cheaper, like $50, though they normally need brakes if they are $50... which makes it that much easier to go disk

14. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I would just get a d44/14bff combo w/ 4.10 gears much cheaper and much strong (at least in the rear) then your old combo

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Bronckelly , very nice first gen K5. Personally, I wouldn't be able too bring myself too thash on something that nice. I'd drive it like it is and enjoy the heck out of it. My first K5 was a 72 (Still kicking myself for ever selling it) Anywho, it had a 454/sm465 Np-205/ and 1 ton axles with 4.56 gears and 35" Mickey Tompsons on it befor I sold it. Went through 4 engines and a few axles befor I was finished. This was befor I found CK5. I will say this site is awesum, Great advice, and these people know thier stuff. Welcome to the best addiction on the net, LOL.

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5!

Sweet First Gen!!! :cool1:

:thumb:

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5 man.

I may get shot but I have to say I love that Early Bronco, that thing looks great. Oh and the K5 looks dang nice too... :grin:

18. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Nice Bronco.. as well as the new 71 K5.

I'd be afraid to mess up a nice looking 1st Gen.... I'm glad my wife talked me out of getting one for my project.

Welcome :cool1:

19. Bronckelly

Thanks for the compliments fellows!! I can't wait to dive into my first gen, and replace alot of stuff. I think I'm going to start with the susp/axles first since they go hand in hand....as far as pulling the springs and the driveshafts apart goes. From reading alot of posts here, I think i'm going to go with tuff country springs all around...4" front and 6" rear, with rancho 9000's all around. I was VERY impressed with my first set of rsx 9000's on my Bronco, and I think i'm sticking with them. On a 4"/6" combo, are there any other adjustments other than a drop pitman arm and driveshaft lengthening i need to do? While the springs are out, I need to find a good junkyard and see about a 14ff. Anyone know of a good junkyard around Madison or Athens Ga? 4:10 gears front and rear sounds great. I'm getting exited already!!!!

BroncKelly

20. Bronckelly

Oh, by the way....

Will a 14ff bolt right up to stock or aftermarket springs? Do the spring perches line up without fabing? I'm hoping so.

Thx in advance,

BroncKelly