Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've decided what to do about :gears,axels,locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Dec 11, 2002.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I\'ve decided what to do about :gears,axels,locker

Thanks for those who answed my post on what to buy, I looked at the cons...there were no pros to the 12 bolt and 10 bolt, I plan to wheel it after all, don't ya know.

Why spend $550.00 gears + $1000.00 lockers +drive shafts when I can go 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

So heres the new plan, I'm 18 and in High School, but after running it buy dad hes ok with another axel swap, project is close to 2 years already. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SO for the front? 14 BOLT if posable d60
    for the rear? 14ff
    1 ton d-SHAFT, change yoke of t-case though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I plan on trying to fing a truck or sub in ruff shape
    then ditch/give away the rest....to you guys of course
    "minus th drive train" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Any ideas on what to look for or sugestions on what year or what to stray from, also planning on 8 lug rock crawler 15 inch rims, the black ones they should look nice with the new 38.5 TSL'S

thanks, I think I only seem to delay the day it will be finished. And check out my tail lights from a Toyota below, what do you think. Good/bad, cool, too much time or effort?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'ve decided what to do about :gears,axels,locker

<font color="green"> Good plan! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif One thing- there's no such thing as a 14 bolt front axle (aside from custom ones, which exist but are expensive). Basically your choice is to put in a D44 or 10 bolt with 8 lug outers, or a D60. D60 would be better, obviously, but they are usually expensive, and going up in price every day. </font color>

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: I\'ve decided what to do about :gears,axels,locker

If you can find either a parts 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton pick-up for sale with good axles, that'd be the way to go !!!!! I like the late 70's models personally. They're not too hard to find, and you can usely get them fairly cheap. 3/4 Ton models are easier to come by then the 1 Ton models. If you have a free local message board (Lots of towns/countys have web sites) thats a good place to start. Also post a wanted add on local Rancher/Farmer web sites. Thats a good way to find cheap parts.