Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got an "Alanesque" story to tell.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

More to come tonight after gofergurl buys me food. Photos and all. Long story short, It took a little over 4 hours to tow a 74 K5 130 miles.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well........:o

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah, hurry up and eat.
    I need something to read that is not infected with the DRAMA

4. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I get to tell the story because after dinner I took Jagged home and put him to bed.
    Update:
    Jagged went to change his spark-plugs yesterday and found one of the wires melted to the exhaust. So he had to change the wires as well. Then when he got ready to change the oil he realized that the guy at the parts store gave him a filter for a v6 s-10 blazer. He went to the parts store to get plug-wires and a filter to fit his K5.
    Today we get Wes' 74 blazer ready to go. Have to search the guys yard to find more lugnuts so that we could travel with more than just two lugnuts on each tire. We get on the road. The car dolly that my dad has likes to blow out turn signal fuses and it blew out the ones on Jagged's K5. He pulls in to a truck stop to get some more fuses and as he stops the '74 rolls over the front of the dolly. That means that we have to some how manuver it back onto the dolly. He gets it back on the dolly after hassling with it for about 30 minutes. Ties the tire to the dolly with a 30ft utility strap (he's gonna have to fix this part) and he also ties it around some other parts of the front end. We finally get to Wes' after being on the road for 4 hours.
    The ride home was a lot better than the ride to Wes'.
    Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So yeah, Gofergurl has all my photos. The day before the haul, I had to get the truck ready. Oil change, spark plugs, rear brakes, and the hitch still needed to be attached. While putting in my new plugs I discovered a couple wires were on/near the exhaust manifold, and the #5 plug wire was arcing right to the manifold. Short trip to the store, and I've got some new wires and some fancy bracketry to hold the wires away from the manifold. Then I go to change the oil, and discover after draining all the oil and removing the old filter, the filter I picked up from the parts store was for a V6 :doah: A few minutes of digging around the shop, and I found a correct filter to use. Got the new oil in and flipped the truck around to install the hitch.

Now, just where did I put my hitch? It took 30 minutes of searching just to discover it sitting on a rack with.... :gasp: other hitches! Got it bolted up, then I just needed to tighten two bolts that attach the hitch to the frame. Hah hah, yeah, it would have been easier with the bumper off. I nearly got a 3/4" stubby wrench stuck in between the frame and the gas tank. Then I needed to find the right sized ball and stinger to tow the dolly with. Ended up stealing one from another truck at the shop. Now, having learned my lesson from before, I loaded up with a set of three spare tires. One for the trailer, one for my Jimmy, and one for the Jimmy I was towing.

Get back to the house to do my brakes, and caught a brake. The rear brakes didn't need to be changed, just cleaned and the 'self-adjuster' adjusted. Load up the trailer the next morning and head into town to pick up the `74. I get there, and I've gotta use one of my spares already, the 32x12.50 on a toyota rim rubs the TRE, so I gotta put my smaller 30x9.5 spare on. That was funny, the guy had a partially-working floor jack. I could jack the tire up, and have about a minute to work with before the tire was back on the ground. It was no big deal though, there were only two lug nuts!!!!

I then let the jack down. Ahhh ****, I let the air out of that tire!. Upjack and put my aired-up spare on the truck. Get out the compressor and fill the spare, and the two rear tires. We then spent another 20 minutes hunting for lug nuts so I could have at least 3 lugs on the front wheels and 5 on the rear. This truck won't run on it's own, so we had to hand-winch it up onto the trailer. No biggie, just had to reset the winch once.

I get out of the driveway and start heading down the road, turn the corner. Ahhh more ****! The steering wheel is still unlocked. I gotta lock the steering wheel and pull the rear driveshaft. Damn near get my legs run over once, but I managed. Used a chain to attach the driveshaft to the exhaust. Good to go.

Later on down the road the fuse for the blinkers and hazards finally blew. Something wrong with the car dolly wiring that we've been too lazy to fix. I pick out a nice truck stop to pull into. I come to a stop in the parking lot. THUNK!!! Passenger front tire rolls over past the front of the dolly!!!! The tire-strap winch is FUBAR, no amount of hammer beating will fix it. So, luckily, with this being a truck stop, they had some large cargo straps I was able to get a hold of. Then I had to get the wheel back up onto the trailer, going the hard way. Attached the hand winch to the rear of the wheel pad and one of the spring bolts. With a lot of grunting, cussin', wheel turning, and finally straightening out the trailer, I got the wheel back on the pad. But now the winch was stuck. Ah well, at least I don't have to worry about that wheel coming forward again. Get the cargo strap tightened down as much as humanly possible, and cleverly wrap the extra 20 feet of strap around the trailer, axle, and into the cab of the truck, and we were ready to go.

I finally show up at Wes' just to hear "Damn that thing looks uglier in person!" Ah well, unload it, get a TH400 and NP205 loaded up for the return trip to meet someone else this next weekend sometime. Everyone that was at Wes' was positive that truck would win the "ugliest truck" competition. 3 different types of wheels, two different size tires, missing lug nuts. Body rust you can see through, at least 4 different colors of paint.

The word of the day was "cherry"

Fun times, and Wes bought me and Gofergurl sammiches. mmmmm :D

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wow...i hate when seamingly easy things turn into a nightmare...:o

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well it's a good thing Heather reminded me to secure the truck with the chains, otherwise the 74 would have taken out my 89's rear end :eek1:

8. dontoe

Very entertaining..............for us to read, that is! :bow: :bow: :bow:
    I love easy days gone bad. Well no major damage anyway! :wink1:

9. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

Here's a picture of what the 74 Jimmy looked like when it went over the top of the dolly.

jimmyoverdolly2.jpg

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

i'll bet more than once you stepped back and said ... what would allan do about now.

:waytogo: looks like you had fun

11. dontoe

Have to make up a few business cards.................What Would Alan Do? :wink1:

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Believe it or not, that's what was going through my mind.

The thing that pissed me off most was the 5 people that pulled into or out of the truck stop, obviously looking at my predicament, without offering help. It's not like I was on the side of the road and they couldn't stop within reason to help, they were already stopped. Ah well, we made the trip safely, that's all I could ask for.