Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got an engine stand now I need>>>>>

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I\'ve got an engine stand now I need>>>>>

a good donor 350 for my 383 build up. Please help me with any info you may have on how to find the best donor 350. I know I want a 4bolt main but what else should I consider?? Also are the 350 blocks different between a car and a truck??? I am not in a hurry so doing my homework before I start spending money. Any and all coments on this topic would be GREAT!!
    Thanks

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'ve got an engine stand now I need>>>>>

Look for a pre-86 350. Car 350 are usually 2 bolt mains and trucks were 4 bolts (except hi performance cars some were 4 bolt). About the only thing I would do is use a SCAT stroker crank and save a 400 crank for a 400 engine. The SCAT crank comes already ground (main journals) to mate with a 350 block. You will need to grind some on the 350 block to clear the counter balance on the crank. My nickel.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, hey does that stroker 383 crank use a 350 dampner or the 400?? Will the stroker 383 crank use the same flywheel as a 350??? This will be my first V8 build so still thinking about buying a short block stroked allready, duno yet.
    Any good shortblock sorces out there???????

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I recently got a 454 stroker crank at http://www.pmeracing.com (makes it a 489ci). They carry Triton Eng. and Scat cranks plus other parts you may need. I happened to see a 383 Scat cast crank for $219. A forged may cost more. Mine was a 4130 forged and the cost was $400 which is decent for a BBC. I've also seen many stroker cranks on ebay.com lately.

Also, I wouldn't mind finding another 454 block/builder in Colo. so I can keep my other low-milage BB together. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I've got a complete long block that would be just what you need. It has a spun bearing and the crank will not move anymore, but since you're going to stroke it anyway there you go. I'll take 50.00 for it plus shipping (88001)or you could just go to the junkyard and find a good core for yourself.

I've thought about doing this for my blazer too and what I decided to do was clearance the block myself. Get your SCAT crank for 200.00 out of a circle track mag ad and when it gets to you put it in. EVER SO CAREFULLY!! Even a little nick will ruin your whole day. Spin it in the block with the bearings in it and see where it hits, then take it out and grind the areas it hits with a die grinder. Do this several times until it doesn't hit anywhere on the block and then install the pistons, rods and cam and make sure that everything clears everything else. Most of all, keep it very clean all the time and take your time. Once you've done all of this, take it to the machine shop and get it bored and balanced and you'll be in good shape.

If you get the rotating assembly balanced at the machine shop then you'll be able to use your 350's balancer and flywheel, but you have to take them off of your 350 so the machine shop will have them to balance with.

HTH,

Buddy

PS - I've also got a set of rebuilt heads that have never been touched since I got them from the machine shop.

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

7. Shawn

That seems like a good price. You should check out the shipping costs and compare the total to your local engine shop with the same specs.

Thats a favorite site of mine since it lists the HP and torque ratings of most strokers including the BBC 489 which happens to be 580 Horsepower & 600 ft./lbs of torque (10.5:1 comp). Who needs a 502 when you can get that much power!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya thats a great Idea Shawn! I did call a local shop and they quoted me 1200 for an Unassembled short block package.
    Block and all the parts needed to stroke it. Seamed kinda high without even putin it together????
    I printed that spec sheet out for a referance model.
    Been reading there information on building motors and allt of good reading but most of it is greek to me[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Shawn

One thing about un-assembled, is you still need to have an engine shop balance it. The complete motor might be a better deal since it should already be balanced. Let me know what they want for shipping. I'm looking at getting the bare BBC block from them.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I just called them up and he quoted me 200 bucks to get that short block to my door and thats balanced with a new dampner and flywheel[​IMG]!!!!
    My tshirt is getting wet from drolling all over myself[​IMG][​IMG]