Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got good news!...i think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, Nov 7, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well last week i went in for a check up. The Dr. says that everything has turned out better than he had hope..(I guess thats a good thing, lol) and he has also released me to go back to work. All though he said "light" work, like part time, and something simple and easy on the body.

So why am i so..nervous, anxious?...

I guess its because its been over a year since i have had a job. and the thought of working again is exciting..becuase i'm sooooo bored, and its also scary. Wow, work...no more sleeping till 3pm..lol

But what am I gonna do? What kind of work?..For the past 12 years the only thing I have done is work on cars. and i wouldn't call that type of work "light, simple, and easy on the body". But thats all I know.

Lol Its been so long, I don't even know if i can remeber how to get a job, lol

Work....hmm...wow...

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:D look for a service advisers position or a management position at a mech shop. is light duty work but watch out for paper cuts,they hurt real real bad.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

kick ass news man congrats
    go work at a parts store, preatty easy, and it would be nice to have someone who actually knows a little about cars behind the counter :D

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

parts store :thinking: i'll have to look into that...i could use some parts :D

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i agree

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats. I agree - parts store would be perfect.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

in my opinon best person for parts store guy is a ex machanic. :D

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

WOW so glad to hear it buddy!!!!!

man a guy in a part store who knows something about cars, we might be onto something hear:thinking:

is this going to hurt you at all making a little money would they pull your disability?

9. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah once i go back to work, i won't get my disability anymore..

went out looking today, and got offered a level III tech position.... :thinking:

tempting, oh so tempting..

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

been there tried that... they told me i was overqualified. :haha:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup..TOO smart!!

I have been both a "mecknic" and a "counterperson"..both jobs kinda suck,but the counter is less physically demanding than wrenching all day,and lifting trannies and engines..but your brain gets an overload from all the phone calls and things you have to remember,working a parts counter..you can burn out pretty fast ..

I could most likely walk into a parts store and get hired,but they mostly want younger people willing to work like a horse,for 8 -10 bucks an hour..now that computers look up the parts,any warm breathing human body is qualifed for the job,they don't want guys who still know how to read a catolog,or actually know how to install the parts if he had too..

I think the delivery driver's job is the best one in the parts store!--you get a few bucks less an hour,but you'll live a lot longer..unless traffic is like it is in my area--calfornia could be about the same as here..dealing with that every day could be a PITA too..but still better than being imprisoned inside the store all day long..

A "Jiffy Lube" job isn't so bad--you dont change engines or trannies, just oil!...but some are now expanding their "expertise" to include tune ups,fan belts and hoses,etc..might as well be a "real" mechanic if your going to do all that..

I wish you luck at whatever you choose..if I were getting disability at my age,in the health I'm in right now,I'd stay on it..but I'm not,and getting it is difficult,and takes a long time..so I have to find some sort of income--I'm looking into filling out surveys online--some pay rather well I hear..my friends wife injured her arm badly at work,and recently took a lump sum payoff from workmans comp--thats what she is doing to pay her bills until she finds out if SSI approves her claim.. :crazy: