Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got Lake AJM in my garage...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Nov 11, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

My problem has 3 parts:
    1. Whoever designed/made my garage was drunk, stupid, and a moron all at the same time.
    2. It has no floor drains at all.
    3. The floor not only slopes away from the doors but it also is uneven so water goes in every direction and always ends up in corners and under stuff I don't want wet.

Every time we park a vehicle in our garage that's got your typical Michigan winter snow/ice/slush piled on it the stuff melts overnight and you end up with big puddles everywhere. This is the third winter here and money and time have prevented me from dealing with the problem but now I have a project sitting in the other stall with a big water puddle under it:doah: (did I mention it hasn't been outside since October?).

Ideal would be drains at the low spots but I'm a bit late in the season to have a concrete cutting service out to do their trade. Not to mention $$$. Maybe this summer if we don't sell the place.

Way back in my memory I remember seeing some rubber or poly speed bump looking things. I don't know if this was their correct use but I think they were being used to keep water out of an area of a building. They were set up on the floor and their weight and soft/conforming bottom kept the water from getting under them. They were a few inches high so most reasonable amounts of water would be stopped by them. The material was also tough enough that you could drive your tractor/snowblower/etc over them and they wouldn't fall apart. I was thinking I could put this around where the wife parks her truck in the garage and that way isolate the water to that space.
    This sound familiar to anyone? I was at Lowe's today and found nothing. Looked at various kinds of weather stripping but none of it seemed waterproof, tall, or tough enough.

Any other suggestions other than move south? That's already in the works.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

go to the hardware store and get a squeegee... or get a nice heater and keep it on all the time. And I'll be heading up your way in about two weeks for xmas shopping at the Grand Traverse mall

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

rent or borrow a sds-plus drill and a 3/4" inch bit, drill a hole in your worst spots for puddleage, the water will drain thru the gravel and down in to the weeping tile for your foundation and run off or into your sump.

since it is only a little water drains are a bit much to go for, if you want to though and want that expence and trouble of cutting up your floor dont bother paying someone, rent a gas quickcut for a couple of hundread you can do it your self not that hard

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just because I don't know...what's a sds-plus drill?

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

For ****'s sake, get good hearing protection if you run a saw through concrete! :yikes:

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it is just a big rotery hammer..

sds drills there is not cluch you tightent on the bit the bit just locks in.

you could use a normal hammer drill but it would take forever.
    rotery hammers cut thru WAY faster, you can rent them cheap with bit from just about any rental place