Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got steering knuckle issues (10 bolt) HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Jan 15, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I\'ve got steering knuckle issues (10 bolt) HELP PLEASE

heres the deal, got a 10 bolt axle d44 knuckles mounted and machined for x-over, tie rod mounts on top, (not highsteer) just mounts in stock location on the top side. problem is my tie rod hits my leaf springs, already have a rockrod with the gm tie rod ends, i already have the ord steering arm for the pass. side, what are my option for getting around this. do they make heim joints that will thread in to where the gm tie rod ends were, can i get a 1in zero rate for the front and use it to space them apart along with maybe another leaf on the front, or would there still be a chance of contact, i am wanting to do this without spending alot more money for buying like a new tie rod or new high steer arms. please help

2. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'ve got steering knuckle issues (10 bolt) HELP PLEASE

ttt

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> DOes it hit when the truck is just sitting there? I would think that a 0 rate might make it clear, it just depends on how much negative arch your springs get when they flex. If they flex alot then the springs might rub the tie rod at full stuff anyways. Pics might help here... </font color>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I gotta think the zero rates would give you a fairly long term bandaid

5. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

how bout a spacer under the steering arm, i had to use one on my ten bolt.

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Did your stock tie rod hit, or just the rock rod? Does it hit with normal driving?
    To change to a heim joint, the knukle would have to be drilled straight, them you could mount it on the top or bottom.

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I run (ran) a custom 1" zero rate (with a milled 4.5 deg angle) bolted to the spring pack. I also run (ran) a custom 1" spacer under my crossover arm. The spacer was made from an old OEM steering arm. All this to clear the Rockrod and make the drop drag link nearly parallel. Flex was awesome and never had clearance issues. Check out:

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3441&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3442&amp;papass=&amp;sort=1

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

stock one hits so bad i couldnt even get the tie rod in without taking the wieght off the leafsprings, do they make heim joints in the thread i would need, i have heard heims only come in one thread?? thanks

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea its hard, i had to take the wieght off the leafs to even get it on, i dont do much offroading and if i did it would be mild trails or mud, dont really know any extrem trail in ohio yet. i have a set of stock fornt leaf springs i was thinking of adding one or two of those if i can to clear it more. thanks