Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've got the bender blues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I\'ve got the bender blues

I've NOW gone through two sets of mounting bolts with my bender and I've only got about a 2 degree bend on the tube... This sucks. I guess it's time to get serious with the welder and Grade 8 bolts next go around........

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'ve got the bender blues

So your bending tube too big for the bender?
    Can you heat it up alittle as you bend it? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Na, just 1.25" .120 wall DOM. I think the problem is the mounting base isn't stable enough. This is a picture of my setup.
    [​IMG]
    I think the major problem is I don't have the square tube welded to the table, and that is enabling the whole unit to move as pressure is applied to the bender, so the only solid part of the base is the 3/16th" of the table. So I think if I don't find a better idea, I'll weld the tube to the table, so there will be two points of pressure on the bolt, which, hopefully will be Grade 8 or at least 5 with the new ones. I went today to get new bolts and all I could find was Grade 3 (same as what came with the bender). Last time, they had Grade 8, but not today.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've found bolts at Ace and Lowes, Not sure what part of cal your in, If you need a plate or someting made up let me know, I have full access to a machine shop.