Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'VE HAD IT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jc71355, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I\'VE HAD IT

I'm tired of screwing with this exhaust. Countless gaskets and now aluminum gasket's and IT'S STILL LEAKING. I'm fed up with it. I've re-aligned it a MILLION times and it's steal leaking. I checked the injector spray pattern today and hooked my egr back up and went out for a test drive. In 15 minutes I got 4 Code 44's. I got home and left it running and crawled underneath to see if I could see what was going on. I got my rubber hose and listened and found ANOTHER LEAK /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . I shined my flashlight on it and I could see exhaust fume's coming out(smoke). So in the morning it's going into the shop to have new collectors put on it. I'm tired of screwing with this thing. From now on it will be there problem. If I still have a leak I'm bringing it right back to them. Sorry for the rant and thanks for listening.

James

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: I\'VE HAD IT

Sounds like you are having header collector leaks?

If so, go find some "Walker Acousti-Seal" at any parts store and take the bolts back out of the collector. Run a bead of this "Walker" stuff around the collector gaskets, both sides, and reinstall the bolts. Where the "Walker" oozes out of the cracks after tightening, take your finger and wipe up the excess and fill any gaps or holes in between the collector flanges to seal it up. Let it dry and then start it up to check for leaks.

I did this after getting tired of changing the burned out gaskets. Didn't have trouble after that.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Is this stuff Permanent? I want to be able to get it off later if I need to /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I gave up on collector gaskets a LOOONG time ago. I just have the flange cut off and have a peice of pipe made up to go over it, weld it on, and weld the exhaust to it. No more collector, no more leaks.

5. thatK30guy

No, not really. Just gets hard and stays on for a long time though.

When the time comes that you need to remove it, you just get something like a putty knife and scrape it off as it will break in pieces. Still works good. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. thatK30guy

A better and cleaner solution would be to get some of those "dead-soft" collector gaskets from Summit Racing or Jegs.

These are just simple 1/4" thick aluminum pieces shaped like any other collector gasket. You simply put them where you would the gasket and tighten up the bolts. Start the motor and let it get warm to "mold" the header and collector together to form a tight bonding seal. Lot cleaner this way, too.

Expect something like $15 or so for a pair of these aluminum gaskets.

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wes, now if they only had a 24Hr Parts Store /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

That's what I have in there now and it STILL leaks /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

HMMM... mine aren't 1/4 thich. Maybe I need those /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

Befor I had a cage to my frame I had the same problem. the frame flex in my blazer would cause them to break out crack and leak. So I stumbled acrost some flex exaust tube at the local parts store and installed about 6 in behind each collector and then bought the best gaskets I could find and never changed them again. Good luck

11. thatK30guy

I've been wanting to try out the dead soft aluminum gaskets sometime.

What I would do if the time comes that I get the aluminum gaskets is to still put a bead of "Walker" on both sides of the aluminum and tighten up everything like I said before. Turn it on to get hot and check it over again.

Shouldn't leak if you do this route.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Almost all big rigs run a short piece of stainless flex tubing with stainless "band clamps" at each end. The tubing seams to last at least 5 years/ 500,000 miles on them.

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

talk to Frank (blazzinor) he had the same problem and has found a product that really does work to stop the leaks i forgot the name of it but send him a pm and he can give you the info on it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I wanna say it's called "header hush" it's a three piece clamp system to lock the collecters together.

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey Wes i'm running those dead soft aluminum gaskets and they rock. header and collector. give'm a shot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

My exhaust guy suggested a pair of flex tubes between the headers and the pipe. It allows a little movement to allow for frame twist and engine movement. They were expensive ($80/piece), but it was worth it to have a maintenance free pair of collectors. Take a look at my pics (up and runnung, page 2) if you're interested.

17. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks Ya'll. I dropped the truck off at the shop to have new collectors welded on. I've talked to Frank about the header hush and he gave me a number to call but I haven't yet. I'm thinking that the collector was out of round a hair, so I am just getting new one's put on. I have "dead soft" gaskets on there now but they are not a 1/4" thick. Mine are made by flow tech and they are much thinner. Hopefully with new collectors I can get it sealed. Thank you for all your suggestions. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Is this something he had in stock or did he have to order it? Have you had any problems with it leaking or blowing out? I remember reading to stay away from flex hose but that stuff looks like it is good quality. That is kinda high but if it fixes the problem it's worth it. I'm thinking my problem could be the exhaust is bouncing and the header is not so it is creating a leak at the collector. That is a very purty blazer you have /forums/images/icons/grin.gif