Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've made the appointment to get a 14FF installed :) a few q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Feb 18, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I\'ve made the appointment to get a 14FF installed :) a few q\'s

Ok, i drop off my truck at www.GMTruckcenter.com (well the actual place) on march 5th to get some work done:
    14 bolt FF with 5.13's - i need suggestions for lockers, i was thinking gov-lock or something that doesn't effect my street mannors like i've heard the detriot does. again people swear to me that the Detriot isn't bad, but i have no experience with them.
    37 inch tires
    take a leaf out (i'm clueless here but someone said if i take some springs out it will lower the stance a little bit and soften the ride)
    Rims.... now i need help here.... i wanted to get 15 inch rims and grind the callipers, but Zakk has tried to talk people out of it before and others said that the breaks are so big anyway that grinding doesn't matter and nothing bas has happend to them.... So please give me input here
    At the moment the front is staying 10 bolt 3.73 and no 4wd for me till i get another axle... d60 if i can find one when i get the $$ /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: I\'ve made the appointment to get a 14FF installed :) a few q\'s

just go with the detroit they are not as bad as people make them out to be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Detroit all the way. No other valid option.

I like running 15's on my d60/14bolt. The brakes are plenty big enough so no worries. I had the 15s on my 3/4 ton front also and no worries, just buy a couple extra 4" discs for your angle gringer.

Out of curioisty, how much is this all gonna set ya back?
    -- Mike

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im running 15's and have no problems after grinding the calipers.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

agreed, detroit, proven strength, I assume you got an auto tranny.... I can barely tell mine is back there, itll usually only chirp when i want it to, sometimes does it on its own.... If you had a manual then you would notice it a little more... but the Benefits FAR FAR outweigh the "bad street manners" that really arent that bad.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i got a quote for $1250 from <font color="orange">doctor4x4</font color> (he works at gmtruckcenter) and is on CK5 That is basically a new axle, they start with an empty shell and install everything new.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I can notice the detroit, but only a bit.

As for the grinding, I've preached my belief on them from any mountain top i can reach. 16.5's are not that bad, and hummer beadlocks (if you decide to go that route) are the only DOT approved plate style beadlock that i know of. There is not a 15" DOT legal beadlock I know of, and the safety bead doesn't hold all the time, Ask FRIZZLEFRY about that one...

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Get the Detroit. I heard all the supposed bad stuff prior to installing the 14B with a Detroit in it. All I have to say it is that on the street it is no big deal, off-road, they are awsome.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have to aguree with Zakk on the grinding of the calipers. I have seen how much some people have taken off and it is way too much! Brakes are something where "good enough" isn't! I did alot of research before I went with 15" rims. I ended up with some Eaton's with 3.5" of backspacing. I could bolt the rim onto the axle before I ground anything away...after I ground off the casting flash and smoothed out the caliper the wheels fit. Any more than that is IMO unaccepable!

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

on the rims why not get 16in rims? no grinding and they have the safety bead so you can air down?

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brandon,

The beauty of the 14BFF is that the Detropit is CHEAP! It's one of the best things about the swap....to deny yourself the locker is silliness. You will notice a slight waviness on the highway when you get in-and-out of the throttle....it's the kind of thing that is subtle and won't cause safety issues but it's a difference over an open diff.

16.5" is where the tire selection is....The hummer wheels/beadlock are a nice cost effective way to get set up for offroad and NOT grind calipers. Of course when you ask about 15" vs. 16.5" here you are NEVER going to get agreement from everyone!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For a more conventional (and lighter) wheel setup you can do the TireLocs on 16.5" wheels which is what I did....there are pics in my .sig if you haven't seen them already.

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Originally posted by zakk

There is not a 15" DOT legal beadlock I know of

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Beadlock wheels are not illegal. DOT regulations state that in order for a wheel to be legal for use on public roads it has to have; 1) a manufacturer's name on the wheel, 2) date of manufacturer and 3) a load range specified. Since pretty much all beadlock wheels start as normal wheels that already meet these requirements, they retain they're legallity even after being made into beadlocks. The companys recomend that you not use beadlocks on the road to cover they're own asses, but nowhere do they say they are illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

not in my state, it says in the inspection manual, and a friend of mine had to go to great lengths to get out of a ticket for having simulated ones on his jeep. had to physicaly bring the wheel with no tire on it into the court, with no bolts in it and let the judge and the cop look at it, then he had to show them the advertisement showing it as a simulated one. it was only a 90 dollar ticket, but ins points are deadly.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I have heard of cops impounding cars with beadlocks ans slicks in fremont, so it might be OK in your state, but i KNOW its illegal in Callie.

15. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

hmmmmmm. zakk your lying. because if bead locks are illegal in cali than im in big trouble. so im just going to say your lying and play the denial game. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i will just tell the cops that they are my harmonic defibulator plates.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is another option Allied makes a 17" rim with the safty bead that is only 1/2" bigger than a 16.5 and is a good choice with a 37" tire. They are also avalible with a bead lock. Would be the same as running 35's with a 15" rim.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard of cops impounding cars with beadlocks ans slicks in fremont, so it might be OK in your state, but i KNOW its illegal in Callie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say it was the slicks that got them busted! That is illegal in every state.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Zakk, you've HEARD of it, or you KNOW the people? I've searched the CA vehicle code pretty thoroughly for a law saying that beadlocks are illegal and have yet to find anything. Also, the Hummer beadlocks are not legal anymore if they've been modified, since it's illegal to modify a rim. </font>