Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've searched, but have found NO answer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TK5, May 24, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I\'ve searched, but have found NO answer

I know that i must have missed something somewhere, but I have a dilemma. I have a '76 Dana 44 8 lug that I am installing on the front of my'83 K-5. Without thinking or checking I have everything ready to go under and bolted up and ready to go and my tie rod ends will not fit the knuckles. I also forgot I that went ahead put the Flat-top knuckles when I get ready to do the cross-over steering.

I know that I have seen this posted somewhere that I may need to ream the hole for the GM taper tie rods. Is this correct. Can someone shed a little light on this subject.

Thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'ve searched, but have found NO answer

Is the D44 you are installing from a GM?

Some years of D44's had the TRE go in from the top. The trucks that had these knuckles had drop down TRE's so that you could remove them without running into the springs. If the taper is larger at the top you might have to loosen the u-bolts and drop the axle away from the springs to get the TRE in.

3. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'ve searched, but have found NO answer

That is probably the question and answer in it's self? Is the knuckle a GM???? Probably not, the way my luck has been going. I got the flat-tops on ebay. They were already machined and tapped with new studs cones and nuts. They were even clean which is most unusual for things that come off the Ebay. I only gave a hundred bucks for the pair. i thought this was a pretty decent price since I was saving a lot of work, chasing down a machinist and buying the studs, cones and nuts.

I guessd I got so jacked about the finishing the 14 bolt gear, and Disc brake install. I was trying to get them finished before school was out for the summer so I could have some extra help doing the insall.

I guess my only option now is to find a reamer. I know they are high. I sure hate to pull them off again or try to locate the correct ones because I have put new ball joints in these.

Any suggestions?