Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I've searched for a half hour... How do...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 20, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

How do lockouts actually work?? Pictures and cross sections would be great. I would like to know how an auto locking hub knows to lock, and what a manual hub does when you turn it to lock...

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Both the Dana 60 and 10 bolt pics here show the hubs and the parts. Parts manual pics

3. PhoenixZorn

I know what they look like inside and out... I want to know how they actually work...

Pretend I'm a 2nd grader that wants to know how 4wd works... you wouldn't show them an exploded diagram would you?

4. PhoenixZorn

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its been less than an hour and its mid day when people are at work, no need to bump it.

6. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

manual hubs use a spring or mechanical screw to push a small gear from the outer side of the hub to the inner side. when pushed in the gear meshes up with the spline gears on the axle. When the gears are locked together the wheels will rotate with the spinning axle.

Never opened an auto hub, but my guess is a spring and small clutch mechnism do basically the same thing. push a gear forward or back to engage or dis engage the axle. Someone else can correct me on the autos.

When you pull the transfer case lever you alow it to lock together and start spinning the front drive shaft. The front shaft turns the diferential and then the front axles spin. Its up to you or the auto locks to connect the axle to the wheels. but thats the 30second intro to 4x4s

The others will explain more detail later.

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

The hubs (on the rotor) have internal splines with the axle shaft stubs comming right through the middle having external splines. The manual lockout hubs are bolted to the hub. The lockouts have a cog that has both internal and external splines that match the ones on the hub and axle shaft. It is spring operated. When the lockout is turned to 'lock', the spring puts pressure on the cog, which forces the cog into the hub and axle shaft making a solid piece. When it is rotated to 'free', the spring is retracted, which drags the cog back out letting the hub and axle shaft turn independendly.

Never had to deal with automatic locking hubs, dont want to, so not too familiar with their operation. Hope someone else can detail this one.

Hope this clear it up.

-Randy

8. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i think the auto locking hubs are similar to the manual ones. but the difference is that when you put in in 4x4 the rotation if the axel inside the hub runs the cog up a ramp and locks the inner and outer hub together and that's what locks in the hubs.

This is why they blow up so easy cause when someone gets stuck in 2x4 they usually lock it in 4x and crank on it and the little cog inside the hub winds up and smashes to pieces when it hits the locked postion. :D

Also to unlock them you usually have to take it out of 4x and drive in reverse to get the cog to run back down the ramp.