Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i've searched, i've read and searched more(long read)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Oct 2, 2005.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

but i cant find what i'm looking for...ya'll all tell me how great this site is and i've been thinking of joining mainly because i like what i read and theres alot of places i can't go and i want to read the whole site...i also like how ya'll talk like its a brotherhood....say'n if i was far away from home and broke down there are good chances that a ck5'er would be close by and help me out to get me back on the road..even if i wasn't in my rig....i would like to be part of such a close net group of friends that would do such things,just to help out a fellow wheeler...even if they have never even met...sounds good!

i have just a few simple questions about a rig i just got and apparantly i am not as up to par on chevy's as i thought. here's a simple way to set the hook because i'm stuck and i'm sure sum1 in this forum knows and can help me off on the right foot!..this should be simple i'm not asking for some1 to bail me out stranded but i would like a good faith favor from all who can help...to test the waters and if i get this new project started fairly easy ..i'll cough up my dues and become a ck5'er myself for life....maybe start an arkansas chapter or join it if it already exsists....i mean hot springs is where they hold the top truck challenge after all may some of u can come to the natural state sumtime...i've only seen 1 other person on here from AR though...

enough babble tho, i've finally found something on a chevy i don't know about and i've worked quite a few over, theres not much about a 2nd gen i don't know and thought the same about the 1st gens too, but i found out tonight that i lack on the first generations...i already ordered a factory assembly manual but i would like a few of you good ole boys to tell me, so i can get started on my newest baby, please!! kinda good faith on both sides you show me i show you...I JOIN!!

i've owned 8 2nd gens and have built them from mild to wild, 3 2wds and 5 4wds....i've also owned 3, 1st gens all swb c-10's 2 '68's and 1 '69 that got a '67 front cap and the rear side markers filled,..plus alot of parts trucks that i still own..and like most 1st gens they all needed rockers, inner and outters and the body mounts and i fixed them all and have sold them all except for a select few that i kept, 1 '68 c-10 and an '80 k-5 that is pretty wild...i've always wanted a 1st gen k-5 tho...and i found 1...in a salvage yard...most people would have left it alone, but i found out what it was (vin) and came home.

i started to research it to see exactly what i had found..well turns out it is a '69 k-5 and through my research i found out that they made less than 5000 of these in their maiden year...and this 1 was not about to meet the crusher in the rear of the yard ,..not on my watch....they must have thought i was crazy when i showed up 2 weeks later to buy this hull!!

i mean this literally, it is the tub, frame, springs, and axel housings which still held the 3:73 gears, axels were pulled and front end stripped to ball joints,and beat to heck fenders and radiator support...oh and the top, but the rear hatch is broke . the bottom is completly missing on the hatch...they told me that the fiberglass top was the only reason it hadn't already had its day with the crusher.... as what i named off is what i got, everything was stripped..so i was prepared to start the long road back to the road with this hulk....people still telling me i'm crazy!

well..i had over the years amassed quite a pile of chevy parts...so i took a d44 i had and put it under the truck on the trailer, because they had loaded it for me with their forklift...i had to get it rolling to unload it off of the borrowed trailer, so i could get it back to its owner ,because he needed it that monday, i went to get it on a saturday. and i dont have a forklft so i jacked up the rear, and slide some axels into the housing and put the side gears on with c-clips and pin and just left the spiders out..and i rolled it off of the trailer and carried it home sunday evening.

now this has been over a month ago and all i've been able to do is admire it as i had other things to do, inline, a head of my dream truck...i thought about stripping my '80 and putting it all in it....but then i sat down and put on paper what i wanted to do ..repair rust is on top of the list,right in front of fixing the mangled frame where the steering box once had resided....well luck have it, over the month of torture of not being able to work on it. one of my friends tells me his dad has a truck that he thinks is about that year model because the top came off to the windshield...we went to look and it was a '74 sitting in the weeds, and he wanted $1000 for it and you could put a battery on it and drive it away, i wanted it also...but some1 saved a $1000 be4 i could... and his dad told me there was another old 4wd behind their barn ,because his son (my friend) had told him what a lune i was and what i was trying to do.

so we take a ride out to their cattle farm and behind the barn..low and behold a 77 k-30 with a blown motor sm465/np205 with another truck sitting beside it,, i pushed weeds out of my way and its a '68 c-30 with a hopper in the bed they used to use to spread fertilizer with,the bed and cab was eat up...but there was my glove box door and instrument panel and everything else i needed(heater box, ash tray, controls, wires, etc.) i felt like i was going to cry! i was on a natural high i had never felt b4 in my life and on top of it all, when we get back to his dads house, he tells me i can have them both, just so he could see if i could get this hairballed idea off the ground and get them out of his way so he could mow up to the barn. well i got them home 2 day and i'm so excited as if you can't tell by this 3 page novel..

i knew i couldn't get to work on it right away priorities...right....well after piss'n the old lady off for bringing more junk trucks home ,i decided she could mow the yard and i got my pressure washer and went down where i have lined these 3 trucks up, and procedded to wash them as if they were '06 models. i crawled under them and blasted away my anger, knowing good and well i was going to have to mow the yard the next day....but i got them where i could see what i had real good and this is when i ran into something i had never seen.

this is where ya'll come in, i hope, my '69 k-5 has this weird piece of metal underneath it on both sides that none of my catalogs show in the patch panels and remember i've replaced several of these rockers and inner rockers and body mounts on my 1st gen trucks and a couple for my friends...but back to the blazer, it has a sheet with 3 bolts in it, even with the rear of the door that runs paralell with the frame and extends inward about a foot from the inner rocker and runs all the way forward and wraps up the firewall up behind the inner fender and you cant see where it goes to. i've never seen this piece on a chevy b4.

yes, all this writing just to find out what this piece is and does this piece bolt off, as it looks like it may from the 3 bolts at the rear of it and i don't know if there are some more bolts up behind the inner fender or if it is even a factory piece, it hides the inner rocker and makes the floor doubled about a foot inward from where the sill plate goes with a small gap between the floor and this piece ...please some1 explain to me what i am seeing and why i don't see it in my exploded views in my catalogs where it shows all the patch panels...

on the inside edge it stops on a brace for the floor and it has holes in it around the edge that looks like the holes in unistrut, kinda oblong holes around it... it seems to be attached there but i cant see any welds or bolts. now really all this writing is because i am as happy as i have ever been i my life and i feel like screaming it to the world because this is my dream truck that fell together in my lap and i've dreamed of owning 1 of these 1 day since i was 10 or 11, when my dad had 1 and now i'm 34, and it all began because i found what i considered to be rare iron in the you-pull-it yard that i thought would take me forever to piece together from the hull i bought for $80...i just had to tell the story in detail because it seems like a fairy tale.

and thru my researching this truck from the vin i found out they made 4943 units, i think it was less than 5000 and the top was an option!?! that made me laugh...but know i have this passion like never before and i would like to start a registry for the remaining '69-k5's!! just to try and see how many remain....because i'm sure this is not the only 1 sitting in a salvage yard or has been wrecked beyond repair or crushed or just plain gone ...i would like some advice about how to go about this if possible.i want to count them and register the owners and take a tally....but 1st i would like some1 to explain to me how i replace the rockers because its not like the 2wd c-10's .if you read this i thank you and i promise not to write like this again, but i am just so excited about the way everthing happened and i'm excited to have found this board, where there are people who share my enthusiasm for rare chevy's and will help like you said, the forum would help because i wish i had found ya'll yrs ago because you(whoever said it) it would have been worth it while i was doing my others and my '80 k-5 which i believe 1 day will be rare iron also

..however this truck gets built, with your guidance or on my own,.. i am still about to bust with pride over my new rust bucket...its not going back 100% original as i plan on putting the '68 front cap on it because 67-68 are my favorite chevys of all time, altho i do own a 1956 panel truck that has been an on going project for almost 14 yrs now and i actually plan on selling it now because i want a '68 blazer :wink1: a 1 of a kind around here, as there is a '70 model in town but now i will have matching 68 c-10 and 68 k-5 going to paint it the same as my c-10 bright silver almost chrome with bahama blue rally stripes riding on 38.5's.....i guess the air bags will wait for awhile now on the c-10...thanks for reading if you read and especially thanks if you can help this project off on the right foot or help with the start of a registry...some more research to do now.again thanks!!!

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you ever heard the expression "A picture is worth a thousand words"? :D

Well congrats on your score! It took me a lot of reading to even figure out what you had bought, or what the question was.....and to be honest I can't understand from your decription what that metal part is... SERIOUSLY, a picture or two would help a lot.

Take one from a distance to show the overall location of the part on the truck, and a few more up close to show specific details.

BTW -> No arguement about a '69K5. That's the holy grail of Blazers if you want my opinion... I've got one stored away and am gathering the missing parts for it... someday.....someday.......... :thinking:

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Little confusing to read, but isn't that just the typical double floor / rocker piece on the 1st gen?

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

got [​IMG] ?? :p: :wink1:

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

try to get some pics of what you are talking about. also powermad (ron) has a 69 blazer as well :D

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Arkansas.................................

By the way, Top Truck is held in Hollister :doah:

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Faaaaaaaaaaannnnnnpadnnnnnntastic!

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Is this what you're talking about? Check out the pics for the 2 "floors": Pics

9. blazin_blazer

thats it!!

the piece you ca see thru the cut out floor in these 2 shots:

http://austink5.net/phpBB/modules.p...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

and

http://austink5.net/phpBB/modules.p...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

looks like it laying on the ground here:

and what they are replacing in these:

and here

thanks skigirl for posting that link, as i have no way of getting digital photos without wal-mart putting them on a disc for me...i'm going to print quite a few of those to have in my shop as a reference manual of sorts, i've ordered an assembly manual for these trucks also, but like was said a pic is worth a thousand words..thanks again another cool site i will have to explore

i think i will buy me a two pack of disposable cameras and take pics of mine like this thru out the build up...looks like i have to ante up now, but where can i find those patch panels and what is that part called?

after seeing what he did with that truck...i know mine i salvagable...none of my catalogs(and i have a stack) show this replacement piece...is it just on the k-5's? I have never ran into it before while replacing rocker panels! i knew i could count on this bunch to step up! is that guy a member on here? i wonder how long it took him to do all that? thanks again. oh and uh , yea i am a little wordy! sorry

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you might try lmc

11. blazin_blazer

i have lmc's catalog

yhey don't show this piece...i just recieved there newest catalog with the close up of the driver side headlight blue 67-68 truck...their 73-87 catalog looks almost just like it because i got it a few days later and thought they had sent a duplicate...by the way on their newest 67-72 catalog with that headlight closeup...check out the alignment on the hood of the cover truck

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Those pics belong to 85mudblazin. He did that work. Ask him where he got the panels. View the thread here

13. Greg72

Well, the diagonal rod is a part of the replacement rocker box. The rocker boxes are now available as a replacement part (a HUGE victory for 1st Gen owners!).

The rocker box is the structural part that supports the truck under the doors since it has no roof to give it strength. That fresh metal you see in those pics appears to be that rocker box reproduction part.

If you can't get it at LMC, you need to keep calling around. I would call GMCPauls next. They seem to have the more uncommon parts (including the replacement Blazer doors!) and I guarantee that he'll have those rocker boxes for you. He's also have the replacement cab supports....if your rocker box is wasted, odds are good that your front cab supports are rusted through also.

(I"m assuming you want the entire rocker box and not just the support rod?)

Also......check out the "Cancer Support Thread" in the 1st Gen Forum. It has a lot of detail about the early Blazers and how to repair this very common rust area.

:thumb:

14. blazin_blazer

thanks for the help

...so that is called a rocker box then? it has 3 bolts across the rear of it...does this piece bolt off or is there welds also? i need to do just about the same as he did except my body tub and pillars aren't rusted thru like his was, but i bet that support up front between these two pieces is gone also...the reason i asked where he got his panels from is because they look like they fit really well!..thank you for the responces...

no1 has said whether this is just on the blazers or are they on all 4wd...if they are support for no top i would assume they are just on blazers. correct me if wrong...now to become a member...oh yea any ideas how to go about starting a 69 registry. what would we need like the vehicle vin, current owners name and city and state so we can verify the info...

if i'm not mistaken a registry is something that gm actually will certify as correct or is it something someone with a passion does for that paticular vehicle.....maybe put a sticky in the 69-72 forum asking everyone with a 69 to post their info and spread the word among all the other forums on the web that they visit to see how many we can come up with and actually create the registry here on ck5...maybe?

15. el bob

el bob Registered Member

hey i don't have any new information for you but i just wanted to say i enjoyed reading your story. although the spelling and grammar was interesting you definitely held my attention. good luck with the '69!

16. Greg72

Yes, the big flat sections underneath are the rocker box. The other related parts are the outer rocker (the part you see under the door area) and the inner rocker (the part you can NEVER see until you cut off the outer rocker)...it is a vertical piece that fits between the outer rocker and the rocker box.

To my knowledge, the rocker box is a "convertible top" thing, not a 4WD vs. 2WD thing. If the top comes off, it needs that support or the doors will fold up the first time you open the doors with the top removed! :crazy:

Do a search in the 1st Gen Forum.....someone already asked "Who owns a 1969" in a thread a while ago. That will probably get you started. The only problem with a registry is that not everyone is excited about publishing what they own, and then where they live..... thieves read these message boards too, you know. :eek1:

17. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Maybe someone else has asked, I just skimmed this thread, but did he give you a K-30 with a Dana 60? :D That's a pretty good score in its self.

18. blazin_blazer

i havent paid that close attention

it an 8 lug and while pressure washing under these trucks i could tell it is definitly a dana axel by the bolt pattern on the cover and it looked to big to be a 44, so i would assume its a 60, i just have not looked for it on the webs yet, guess i should check it out closer...i was just glad it was a standard and gear drive case! i will see if i can find the cast mark.