Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

j**p cherokee question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_black_blazer, Dec 26, 2005.

1. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

my brother's 88 cherokee won't start. there's no spark from the coil, and the coil is recieving 12 volts. replaced the coil, still no start. had the ignition control module checked, and it checked good. any ideas on what it could be? besides being a jeep?
    don't dog me... it aint mine. i tried to talk him into (and almost gave him) a k5.
    thanks
    evan

2. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

NAXJA.org might be of help. It's a site dedicated to Jeep Chicadee's. They have helped me with a few minor problems with mine.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wild guess..

My friend repairs lots of Cherokee's at his shop(very popular vehicle here)..he saves a good used crank sensor to "test" and see if the old one has failed,by swapping it in..they seem to fail quite often on jeeps and 318 mopar motors on EFI vehicles..he changes quite a few of them..many of the vehicles already had a new coil or module installed,and because the crank sensor doesn't always act up,many times the vehicle is assumed to be "fixed" --only to have it not start soon after the "repairs" were made..:doah:

I think they are in the bellhousing or near the back of the motor(not sure,never replaced one myself).....it tells the module and coil when to fire,so if they check out good,chances are it COULD be the crank sensor..some older ones used a pick up coil in the distributor instead he tells me..:crazy:

4. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

i found the crank sensor is normally the cause located drivers side bellhousing

5. Jagmeister

Jagmeister Guest

I fixed a smiliar problem on my daughters 88 Cherokee by disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes. Resets the computer. It started right back up after that and never had any problems since.

But yeah... the crank position sensor is reportedly a common problem. And I do recommend naxja.org for a good resource.

6. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks. some guys on naxja.org told him (my brother) the same thing. couldn't stand it anymore and went to the mall where it was broke down 15 miles away at 4am, unplugged the sensor and replugged and it fired up.