Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jack and Stands

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryanrash, Dec 3, 2005.

1. bryanrash

bryanrash Registered Member

What are you guys using to lift your rigs and what kind of jacks stands? Most of the ones on the market just don't look sturdy enough to crawl up under a few thousand pounds of machine.

The only jack and stands I have are the ones uses on rebuilding a mustang. I tried using them on my blazer (6in lift, 35's) and it won't even reach a jacking point. The jack stands are also too short even on the top rung.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take a look at the ones harbor freight offers. A buddy of mine on here (Leper) got his from there and they are indestructable. Last I checked, they offered several heavy duty options for decent prices. Make sure you buy ones that are tall enough for the amount of lift that your truck has.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Just don't get ones that are stamped steel. The ones that are one piece design are strong enough not to worry.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I have a 3 ton trolly jack from Craftsman. It was about 99$ and lifts high enough to remove fortees as long as you lift from the diff. It came with some small jack stands but I don't use them on the rigs. They are good for axles and stuff if you are removing leaf springs.

I have 6 MVP stands from Walmart. I want to say they are 19.99 a pc not a pair. They extend to 24"s but are kinda useless above 18"s or so. Rated at 6 tons I think. The base is about 1 square foot rather than the little 6" square ones.

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I got the 12 ton stands from Harbor Freight. They extend to around 30", and were plenty tall enough to put the 4" lift on my sub.

6. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

just get heavy duty ones i have a 3 sets

6 tons Big

3.5 Ton Med
    and 2 Ton that came with a crapsman jack

and those mvp ones a chrome and bling bling , and are like 30 a set at sams club

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

You make do with what ya got - at least, that's my motto.... I'm frame swapping right now, so this is what's set up in my driveway this very moment:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had some 2x2 tubing, so I just tacked them to the rear of the one frame. The other one is set up on 8x8 wood bases, then some jackstands. It works....

8. ProJunkRacing

there is yankee inginuity right there

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

And some angry neighbors. :D I borrowed a set of the HF stands and a HF jack from a buddy to do my lift. They worked great.

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have a Craftsman 3ton floor jack. I pissed off the workers because I took all the large jacks down off the shelf and jacked them all the way up to see which was highest. It was this one by about 1". I can remove my 40" Boggers jacking from under the axle tube.

For jack stands I have 3ton "SUV" ones that extend extra high (about 30"). I think I got them from Sears or maybe just AutoZone/Advanced Auto. I have 4" Suspension lift (+ 3" body) and the lowest point on the frame is 24". If I have to I put a hunk of railroad tie or cinderblocks under them (be sure to place them so the jackstand feet are not over the "holes" in the cinderblock). I think they are the same ones in the top picture of Big94GMC's post above, at the bottom with the yellow tops.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im not sure what brand my dad has theve been painted over to many. I know they are out of Harbor Freight, they used to have grey bases and yellow pegs. Theve held up every vehicle we have easily and have even held up tractors at our farm. Two held the rear end of our Farmall 560 off the ground when we painted it.

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I use a couple sets of 12 ton stands from Wally World. Word to the wise on jackstands; always put some plywood under them if they're on a hard surface. I had a stand kick out from under the truck when I was doing the lift on my 56. I bought the 12 ton stands later that day too....

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, Im tired of dealing with the short 2-3 ton stands... Im gonna go to HF while they are on sale and get some of the 12 ton ones. As mentioned, they go a shade over 30" high. Not bad. So guys on pirate have bought these and then welded them to a old useless steel rim for a bunch of added height and some extra stability too.

j

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you talking about the ones like i have? they're Goodyear, and about 24" tall... BLING BLING BIATCHES!!!

15. ProJunkRacing

yup i was lol