Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacket insulating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What is the best material for a warm winter type jacket insulating. I was going to by a WindRiver winter jacket insulated with down material...should have bought it I gues...down material is the best?

Or what is the best for keeping warm.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You didn't say what for, but here is what I take/wear backpacking in the winter.

Midweight long underwear shirt
    Midweight Fleece
    Down Coat
    Waterproof Parka

Same for the bottom half minus the down layer. Plus gloves, hat, etc. If I am just going for a day trip I leave out the fleece layer, figuring I can haul ass back to the truck if I need to.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry...I meant winter in general but I guess thats too big of an area.

As another member said in another thread layers is the key.

When buying fleece or a shirt...how do I know if its midweight or not. When do I know if I need midweight compared to a light/heavy weight?

So the down coat you wear...can it be worn alone too, or do you need the parka with it? Does the down coat have a hood? I have a down coat, that zips inside this outer shell thingy. I dont think it will work under a parka though.

Geez I think im over my head in this...
    Brian, where do you know all this info on backpacking gear? Rei has some good info...i'll look there in a minute.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

For layering you generally will want midweight stuff. 650-700 fill for down and 200 polertec for fleece.

The parka only comes out if its raining/snowing. The down coat is fine alone as long as its not raining/snowing. I like them without a hood because a beanie is lighter, more comfortable, and warmer.

I learned from making a lot of mistakes. Got caught in a storm once with a pair of jeans, t shirt, and cotton sweat shirt once. Not fun. The more you go you will learn what you need and what you can live without. My only concern weather wise anymore is lightning.

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I really like a good fleece jacket for cool days. But you'll quickly discover that fleece isnt very windproof. Windstopper is your friend :)

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alright thanks. Before I get too ahead of myself and spend a bunch of money on things that aren't nessacary, I will go out and experience it with normal clothes I have here...then take thatand see what I need. I dont know...

Thanks

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Wrap yourself in one of those emergency blankets. You know the shiny foil ones. Then put your clothes over it.
    Just don't fart, the static discharge may electrocute you or make you explode.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

hehehehehehehehe. Just struck me as funny

9. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone else find it ironic that a guy from B.C. CANADA is asking about insulation? and hes getting replies from California?

:confused:

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where I live its not too cold. It got to almost 0* F last year I think though. Hes talking about hiking and backpacking and climbing mountains. I'm talking about keeping warm in the situations he gets into. He has experience, I don't. :)

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

A down coat and a pair of jeans is probably a good start. Go out in summer first, winter is a good bit more complex. Good winter footwear is very expensive plus you will need snowshoes or skis and possibly avalanche gear.

The mountains here get some decent weather, usually it never gets below 0*F, but storms generally drop multiple feet of snow and blast the ridges with 120+ mph winds.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I wouldn't start in the winter, and my mom wouldn't let me go in the winter anyways...yet :haha:

Do you usually go alone or who do you go with? I saw in one thread you went with your dad once.

thanks

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Generally I travel alone. I tend to cover ground pretty quick, and I hate waiting for people. There are exceptions. I stay off really steep snow, avalanche prone areas, and really exposed rock if I am alone. It's pretty easy to pick up a partner on summitpost.org. My dad goes with me once in awhile, but he lives 500 miles away so thats kinda hard. I print off a map, draw where I'm goin be, when I'll be back and a number of who to call and give it to my roomate so if something happens I'm covered.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ooh I understand. Thanks.
    I'd probably be going alone most of the time.
    thanks