Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacking a cab off a lifted truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I need some help here -- I've got a K25 which has a bit of a lift on it. I need to jack the cab up high enough that I can roll the frame out from under it so I can drill the holes that I need for the tranny crossmember, does anyone have any genius tricks for jacking the cab up when it is that tall? I'd use the bobcat, but it'd be very tough to get it aligned again...

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

tow strap and pullies attached to the cealing of the garage. Or just unbolt it and wait to flip it on the trail.

3. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

seems like a lot of work just to drill some holes
    i assume you dont have clearance to drill through the top of the frame, have you tried a right angle drill? maybe with a stubby bit?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Huh??

Your taking the cab off to drill holes in the upper lip of the frame rails!??...well,thats a LOT of work just to gain clearance to drill some holes!--I'd try Gambit420's solution with the angle drill and stubby bit first!...OR..

I've seen guys that swapped in Caddy 500 motors and had to move the crossmember simply drill the bottom lip of the frame first,then use a longer drill bit to drill the upper lip,and use peices of 3/8 pipe in between the "C" channel of the frame and long grade 8 bolts to "sandwich" everything together..I think even if you left a few "extra" empty 3/8 bolt holes in the bottom lip the frame ,and NO pipes, it would not know the difference... :crazy:

5. Russell

Yeah, I thought about a longer bit, but I don't have one...

The frame rail is for a 4x4, but since I am running divorced, I need to install a 2wd tranny crossmember for the TH400.

The frame rail actually has the correct bolt holes for the TH400 on the bottom, just not on the top...

Where would a guy find a right angle drill anyways? The cab is not currently bolted down, and I don't have any other sheet metal on the truck. I was thinking that if a guy could jack it up high enough to push the chassis forwards, then I could probally get the clearance I need to bolt the crossmember into place.

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

7. Russell

Hmm, I wonder if the school has one of those, cause that'd work really well...

8. biobry

biobry Registered Member

There's an easier way to do this...sawhorses on either side with 4 x 4's to span across them...with a scissor or bottle jack jack the body up from the frame...until you can pass the 4x4 under the body and prop the ends on the sawhorses...lifting and blocking one corner at a time till you are where you want to be...this actually goes very quickly and you can do it all by yourself.

Bryan