Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JackStand Locations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

What is the best point to jack the front end of my suburban and then where is the best location to put the jackstands ?

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

depends on what you are doing. if you're not taking the axle or springs loose, then just use the axle for the jack and jackstands. otherwise go off of the frame.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If you want to raise both wheels use the center punkin on the diff.
    if you only want one wheel raised still use the diff. but place it close to the tire you want to lift.
    As stated you can use the frame as well.
    [​IMG]
    red arrow if you want both wheels off the ground.
    yellow arrows if you only want one off the ground.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

When we removed a buddies ford axle, we put the jackstand on the leaf springs. It seemed to work plenty fine. Instead of having huge jackstands reaching to the frame or having to find cement blocks.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I've always been taught not to place the weight of the vehicle on the pumpkin as its creates more than twice the normal stress on it. also on a 12 it is too round. as for the frame- fine the spot furthest to the end of the truck you are lifting that is flat (before frame rises for springs) or place the so axle is between jackstands and other axle if your jackstand are tal enough. like a sturdy font bumper or rear bumper.

and if that doesn't make sense, zakk, no need for the [​IMG]

even though that was FUNNY AS HELL!

6. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I *guess* the safest way is to always go off the frame (makes sense), but I've been told several different things...so I'm a bit confused now. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

To get both rears (or fronts) off the ground (assuming you just need the tires off), does everyone jack up one side by the frame, put the jack under the axle as close to the wheel as possible, and then do the same thing for the other side?

I had never heard of using the axle to jack up the vehicle.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    To get both rears (or fronts) off the ground (assuming you just need the tires off), does everyone jack up one side by the frame, put the jack under the axle as close to the wheel as possible, and then do the same thing for the other side?

I had never heard of using the axle to jack up the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

i take my craftsman 3 ton jack... put her right under the pumpkin.... the cup olds the roundness awww so well..... then i get the tires off the ground... and put jackstands under the axles on the tubes... between the ubolts.... always worked for me.....
    hope it helps.... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yea, that's basically what I've been doing...jacking off the pumpkin and placing jacks as close to wheels as possible. But Bowtie's post made me a little nervous, doubling the stress and all /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess everyone has a different take on this subject it seems. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess there is no right answer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ...jacking off the pumpkin I guess there is no right answer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

huh huh huh.... he said jacking off the pumpkin... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

now that i got my childishness outta the way... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    i can agree that jacking the pumpkin may add more weight to the tubes in the direction they are not used to.... think about it... when some trucks jump and dont have those rino trusses or whatever they are called.. the tubes come apart... so with the truck on the ground... all the weight is on the spring perches.. now you are lifting the entire weight of the truck on the pumpkin... dont think that is enough to allow it to fold.. .if so then you had it coming anyway.. and better in the driveway than on the highway at 70mph!!!!!!!!!

10. BowtieRed

yeah between the ubolts its best.

does anybody else have a problem with thwe truck pulling back when you used a floor jack on a surface that doesn't let the wheels move? when i put it on the jackstand and let it down, it always end up geting the jackstands on two legs and i jerk the truck to pull them back. . . anybody else have that problem?

11. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Either way, the truck lifts on an arc. Set the stands where you think they will be right, then let the jack down real easy stopping b4 you get on the stands. Re-align stands, then let the jack down the rest of the way.

12. BowtieRed

hehe, you've never used a Larin jack before have you. . . they either gown down, or not, there's no slow- your turn and pray it's right /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Then use chalk to mark ground where the point on the frame your are putting the jackstand. Then jack it up and split the difference between the mark and the actual point on the frame with the stand and will work better. Trial and error.

14. BowtieRed

it's no biggie. . . i've only done this [​IMG] once

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

that day sucked!

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I set it on jackstands right next to the body mounts behind the front tires and next to the front rear spring hanger on the back of the truck. Much to my surprise, when I yanked the rear axle out of the truck and the front was still in it the truck didn't go ass-over-tea-kettle.

If I'm just changing tires I lift right next to the knuckle on the front axle and by the shock mount (yeah, I know, I shouldn't but this way I don't have to use a block of wood with my jack) in the back.

Lifting by the case or in the middle of the front axle (which will be right next to the case) is just asking for trouble. Everybody knows 10 bolts like to snap right next to the case and it seems to me that lifting with 2000+ pounds on it is promoting it to scream bloody murder.