Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jackstands....jacks...what to buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Jul 29, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hey folks, i need some more help...what kinda jack and jackstands should i get to prop-up and hold-up my '76 k5 with 6" lift and 33" tires?

i don't think my camry jack will do the job!

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Get 6 ton stands (24" tall I think). They'll reach the frame rails and allow total suspension droop.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got a nice 3 ton jack at Sams club for $59. Comes with 2 different feet, and you can easily make a transmission adaptor for it. It's an allied brand and it's served me well for a year and a half.

4. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight has a good selection of Jack Stands. Here is the 6 ton version, good prices.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I went with the Harbor Freight 12-Ton ones....I think they go up to something like 28" fully extended. You may not need the extra height now.....but I think we all know how THAT goes...!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bummer is that they were about $80/pr. Maybe you can get lucky and find them during one their 50% off sales?

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hey thanks guys, i know what kind of stands to get now...but how about a jack?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe anymore, the 3 ton floor jacks are the bare minimum for a heavy (say, 4000lb plus) vehicle. The lighter ones have a very small "cup" for lack of better term, that the vehicle is actually in contact with. The larger jacks have about a 4-5" piece, and the cheaper ones are more like 3-4".

Also, the whole jack is beefier, the lighter duty ones you can see them "sway" side to side under a lot of weight, and personally, thats scary. Expect to pay no less than $60 for a 3 ton jack from what I've seen lately. I got mine at one of those traveling tool shows (lol) and it was $60, seems to work fine. The cheapest I've seen them in local stores is about $80-90.

8. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

If you can buy only one jack buy a high lift jack.I dont like going offroad without one.For normal work on truck a floor jack is nice, is just has to be so large to have enough lift to be practical to use that it would take up to much room on the truck.

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If it were me 6 ton jack and 6 ton jack stands minimum. These are things lifting up your truck as you lay under/next to it to do work... you don't want to skimp there and end up with a bent stand because it's cheap and have your truck land on you, injuring you or even killing you....

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Greg 72 on this the Harbor Freight 12 stands go up to 32"s. I need that much to get full droop on my suspention with out removing the wheels/ tires. And a 3 ton floor jack from the same.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Sam's has a nice jack (it's tiawanese but hey) for about one hundred dollars. It's very heavy and wide, has a decent lift and best of all, the valve is very smooth. I would have to say"make some jackstands". Nobody else is gonna do them tall enough for our applications

12. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

just picked up a set of 6 ton stands from sears this week, cheaper than harbor freight and no shipping. $29.00. look to be very heavy duty and pretty good quality.

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

What ever you dont use these POS ones! http://pages.prodigy.net/nuttyisme/jackstandpos.jpg
    I was using this one on my PU when it folded up on me. I was attaching the brake line after swaping the lift to my Blazer. I was in the fender well and ended up getting a tire across the chest and a fender in the back almost paralizing my dumb a$$. My good ones were under my Blazer and they were the only thing I had left. I am going to build a pair that are 30" high at their shortest.

14. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

ouch!