Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jackstands?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Jun 26, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight is out of them, anyone know of some jackstands for a rig? mine don't even come close to the frame rails /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Give Off Road Unlimited a call. They have some they custom make that are adjustable from 22" up to 35". /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Shocker is, they cost something like $250 for a pair. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Shocker is, they cost something like $250 for a pair

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does that come with a free bottle of KY?

4. thatK30guy

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif No.

Believe me when I say that these jack stands are bad ass!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Will they cook my breakfast after getting down on their knees and performing the job?

6. thatK30guy

The other way around. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

You will be performing the job after paying them for the stands! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Another way to go is to get a standard pair (with a high enough weight rating) and weld each one to an old steel wheel. That should get it another 8 inches or so off the ground and give it a big solid base too. Just a thought. I have a pair of 10(?) ton Lincolns that go up to 32" that I got at Pep Boys for about $80. </font color>

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like that Lincoln Jackstands.....LOL

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I got mine at the AG supply in Fresno.I got a pair of 6 ton stands for $25.Got AG /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Iv also seen them at Napa too .

10. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I've been using some el-cheapo made in china stands I got at the local Park 'n Swap for $18 a pair. They aren't the prettiest or smoothest working, but so far they've held up well and support my truck at the frame although I have to pull tires. Maybe a local swapmeet will have something similar? If you get really despirate, I can pick some up next week for ya if you want to cover the shipping (probably around $20).

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i don't know where i got them or how much they were but mine are 27" tall. i'm thinking about extending them up to like 32"-36" i think it would be ok to just weld some extre height onto the bottom, just make it beefy as hell.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Northern Tool &amp; Equipt has them, too.

13. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Just make sure that your stands are very stable! A friend of my fathers was crushed under his hotrod last week when the jack-stands gave out. Apparently, he decided that he would put them on top of cinder blocks to lift them a little higher. Obviously, that wasn't a very good idea! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did and I can post pics if the description isn't to great.

Go buy some 2x4's and cut them to 12" long lay 2 like so [ ] then lay three across them and nail them together the opposite way - to make a square to up and down then three across them keep repeating this till you get the height you want and then on the bottom of the stack place 3 24" long for a sturdy base. Then buy a set of stands from out zone and just set them ontop. I love it. I even have a set of tall stands but use the bases and shorter ones more often because they are more sturdy. You do not have to extend them as much when using the base and the feet dig into the 2x4 so they do not slide ;-) If you want pics let me know as this is the best I coudl "type" a discription.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sounds like what we call 'cribs'
    I used to ship some custom stands that would work I will try and remember who made them

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

18. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thats what i do except i use 6x6 blocks a foot long stacked up about 8 high.it is called cribbing.i learned this method from a guy that used to work at a quary.they used it to stabalize the cranes.

19. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My frame stands are 4 32" long, 28" diameter pine rounds I grabbed from the firewood pile in the backyard /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Made by Stihl 044 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i use regular 3 ton jack stands... and put them on top of my ghetto cinder blocks. Not just any old cinder blocks tho... I liquid nailed plywood to the bottom... and filled in the holes in the cinderblocks with concrete. Toss another piece of 3/4" ply on top to disperse the weight of the stand a little bit and you are set. They are even stackable. Only downside is that they weight about 70 lbs each. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif At any rate, I think my shack flip albums on webshots prolly shows me using them... stacked even. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J