Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacob Electronics ignition system

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm looking at a Jacobs Electronics ignition system. Does anyone know anything about Jacob Electronics ??? Pro's and con's ???? Opinions ???

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have not heard too many good thing about them. Their claims are just not realistic. I've also heard the ignition system crap out too easily.

I almost bought the whole shebang once, but was talked out it it b/c of above reasons. I went MSD and never looked back.

My .02,
    John

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a friend in Massachusetts that was really into drag racing his 'vette. He kept meticulous records of each and every pass down the quarter-mile. We're talking air temp, track temp, humidity, pressure, 60 foot times, top speed, etc. for every single run. He bought Jacobs entire setup, for around $300, and installed it on the 'vette. He then drove it for a while, to let the computer learn any new stuff about the setup. At the drag strip he could not measure any difference between the Jacobs stuff and his stock HEI. BTW, Jacobs "Money Back Guarantee" has a 10% "restocking fee". So he got to pay $30, plus 2-way shipping to find out that their stuff wasn't any better that what GM had installed from the factory.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So ya'all think I'd be better off with MSD ????

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i think so i spent over 400 for the jacobs kit on my 79k20 i have noticed no difference between it and the factory iginition system i still have it on my truck even after the coil went out on it they sent me another under warranty i want to take it off but i would like to feel like i am getting my 400 dollars worth out of it i wouldnt waste my money on anything else from jacobs i have the msd on my 75 jimmy it has give no troble but i cant tell the difference running it neither i would save my money and leave it stock. just my 400 dollars worth

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've had the whole Ultra Team setup for about 2 years and about the only good thing I can say about it is the plug wires are pretty decent... but thats about it.

The system just completely fried it's self this past friday. Somehow the Jacobs computer shorted and totally melted part of it's wire harness (lots of smoke and a few flames). Luckily they have a set of plugs in it so you can bypass the Jacobs system and run off the stock computer. It's crapped out on me a couple times before but I always just left it unhooked for a day and then it worked again. It's getting torn out this weekend and will eventually be replaced with an MSD system since they're so much more widely available. That won't be for a while though cause all that stuff is too damn expensive.

I have noticed that the truck doesn't quite have as much low end as it did but that is most likely from a massive collector leak that I developed last week, and my tranny is ready to fall out of the truck and bury it's self.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Their phone service sucks... I called them and got this idiot who couldn't answer a single question I had. I was gonna buy a MSD set up until the guy flaked on me.... so right now I am torn but I think MSD will be my choice when I get there. Just have to save up because I got screwed on a major house repair and it killed my bank account!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Buddy of mine had the full Jacobs kit on his 93 big Blazer with the TBI 350. Thing shorted out on him, they were jerks but replaced it, died on him a second time, he wanted to return it, they stonewalled him, he eventually got most of his money back. He says he never noticed any difference anyways. He ended up going with MSD.

I know another guy who used MSD on his street rod and had some problems after he put the box in. Called up MSD's tech help, the guy sat on the phone with him for several hours over several phone calls trying to figure it out, and eventually sent him a different chip for the box to make it work right. For free./forums/images/icons/cool.gif I've got their 8.5mm Super Conductor wires and TBI coil. Both work fine and have given my their value in gains. It hasn't been a big improvement in horsepower or anything, more like the engine idled smoother, mpg went up a little bit, etc. I've also gapped my spark plugs .015 over, so I'm now at .05./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I've had the Onmi pack for about 6 years now (about 50k miles) on a Suburban with no problems. BUT not much difference from stock ign. If I was to upgrade the Jimmy I'd go with one of the MSD units.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would go with MSD. I love my MSD ignition system. I have the MSD 6 "Offroad" box, Super Conductor Wires, and MSD coil. I would do anything different with this system on my truck. I did have a problem with the MSD coil (in cap HEI). I had it for about 2 years, and it started to cut out every now and then, and if it got to hot it would shut off and wouldn't start until it cooled down. I talked with Philly87 (MSD tech & member here) and he got me setup with a new coil for the price of shipping. I HIGHLY recommend MSD.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have an MSD offroad box and it is great. I still think that it isn't worth much unless you run high rpms and mud alot. Alternative is go with a msd coil, taylor or msd wires, and NGK plugs gapped .060 over. Cheaper and works every bit as good IMO

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 6 Offroad box. I recommend it.
    I don't understand the Jacobs thing. They bump up the voltage when your truck is at an angle and it is supposed to have more power...why not bump up the power all the time? Plus, are they claiming thier ignition normally does not fully iginite the fuel and only does so when at an angle?
    MSD has been around and will be around...
    -- Mike

13. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

I made the decision to go MSD and can honestly say there is a difference in throttle repsonse, start up, and smoother idling. I have the MSD offroad box, HEI billet dist., super conductor wires with delco plugs at .060.

If you check out the drag races on ESPN and look at all the Top Fuel/Funny cars, almost 99%-100% of them are...... MSD ignitions... These guys spend big bucks and trust MSD.

Also, their reps are very helpful, I thought I had a problem with the box, and after many hours of trouble shooting, they replaced it for free.... (It turned out that my Accel Dist. was bad)
    I can't say anything about Jacobs but I have read testimonies of problems......

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After reading what everyone has said, I think I'll go with MSD !!! It sounds like the off-road 6AL is the choice. I'm also thinking of using MSD's HEI distrubtor. All this is just planning for the future. I tend to gather all my parts and do the build up all at the same time. So far I'm going MSD, Dart 2 intake, Hooker headers, Comp cams (xtream 4x4 cam) Pete Jackson gear drive, Melling oil pump, Comp Cams Pro Magnum rollor rockers, a 9 qt. oil pan. Oil cooler with dual remote filters, K&N filter-top breather, a 2.5" dual exhaust system with Thrush turbo mufflers. I'm thinking of dumping the exhaust infront of the rear tires, I love a loud exhaust system !!!!!! As far as a carb, I think I'll try the new Holley Truck Advenger (it's been redesigned for 4x4's). I've had alot of Holley carbs, and I've learned to tune them. I'll raise the compresion, and I'm really leaning tords the 415 stroker kit. Okay, thats my thinnking for the motor, anyone see any flaws ??? Please let me know, this will be the first time I've built a motor for a 4x4.

15. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Whats cool about the MSD Billet distributor is the extra vacuum advanced springs. Its a simple to change the springs to increase your advance for better low-end response... Its built very well.. I had a issue with a Accel blueprint Dist and as I looked at the contruction of the two, there is no comparison... A little costly but I don't have to worry about that part of the motor!