Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacobs electronics Ultra Team stuff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Mar 15, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Any of you guys have experience with this? Out of curiousity, I called the 800 number from one of the big Jacobs ads in Four Wheeler. I talked to one of the sales guys for a while and he said the entire "system" for my 350 would run about $500. A little pricey, but he promised some pretty substantial performance gains. Is it worth the money? If not, what about the MSD "Off-Road" box? At least that one is about half the price of the Jacobs stuff. Just in case it matters: Freshly rebuilt 350, Vortec heads, mild cam, Edelbrock intake and carb, no emissions dual exhaust.

2. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

Just saw the 'pro street' setup in JCWhitney for $337... + 49 for the 'accessory' kit, which is needed for the rev limiter & anti theft stuff. IMAO, their stuff is the best available, but I don't like dealing with them directly...they can be kinda pushy on the sales side (they replaced a wire for me no Q's asked, no complaints there....). JCW also have another kit for $267, but I forgot the name of it.

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I have heard mixed revues. A guy on another page had a terrible time with the Jacobs. He got worse mileage with it and said it ran rougher. Another guy said it was great! Im a little skeptical, but sometimes you CAN get more for less.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I saw some performance stuff at Autozone. It wasn't Jacobs but it was some kind of high output HEI system. It seemed like it was $75 with addiotional cost for spark plug wires and something else. Total maybe around $120. I know it's not the same thing you were looking for but maybe it can be an option.

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Put an ultrateam on my '89. 350 tbi,700r4, hooker cat back.
    The wires are bulletproof. The "blue box" screwed up on and off from the word go. The theft guard would kill the ignition at ackward moments,(on the expressway, at a stoplight,etc.) Jacobs was less than helpfull. Lot of cya small talk was about it. Fortunately it is easy to unplug out of the circuit. The hot coil was great. My idle smoothed out alot. Gap the plugs at 60 instead of 35. No mileage gain at all. The coil and wires are a good upgrade, I'd do it again. I wish that I hadn't wasted my money on the "blue box".
    John

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got the milage master kit in Oct. and it was increadible. There was a noticable increase in power and torque but no change in gas milage. For the last month the truck has been running very strange, no power and a rough idle. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until the Jacobs computer died last week. I called Jacobs and they said they would replace the computer for free. If your going to get one, don't get it from Jacobs directly. When I called them they told me $500 too. I mentioned I saw it for a lot less in a magazine and they immediately forwarded my call to their "retailer of the month" which had the system for $380. If the new box Jacobs is sending me dies too, my opinion will probably change but so far I like the system.

RIT Team Mini Baja