Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacobs or MSD?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Apr 4, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Im building a new motor and im staying with my HEI dist. Im debating though between a Jacobs Pro Street kit or a MSD super coil and Off Road 6A ignition module. I have heard horror stories about Jacobs on their pushy not helpful customer service, But I have also heard good things about them to. Does it or does it not work? and what about MSD?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You see MSD on ALLOT more of the off-road racers than any other.....MSD is the off-raoders choice.
    Hey I should make a comercial......JK[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I run MSD's 6AL on my 64 Nova, what a great unit! My buddy ran a 6A to his HEI in his mud truck with the external coil kit and loves it too (use the Blaster 2 not the Blaster 3, the 3 actuialy melted his HEI's cap!).
    Curtis

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use msd on all my motors,on my blazer i run the msd 8361 ready to run dist,and the 6T box,never had a problem and after 75000 miles the only thing i have replaced is cap,rotor.msd cost a little more,but i think its worth it. good luck.

BIGBLOCK MAN

5. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

im using the jacobs omni magnum on my 350 and have nothing but good results. better gas milage, more power, smooter idle, and lots more torque

6. BlueKnight

So far MSD is leading the pack. Actually A pro street kit from Jacobs is 527.00 for the wires, coil and module.

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I,ve got the MSD 6A and love it... But I'd listen to 1bad2 when he said go with the blaster 2 and not the blaster 3 coil. I can't say about Jacob's but MSD is a great unit.

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've did a lot of research on the issue my self. I'm planning on a MSD Offroad my self. MSD Blaster (was planning on 3, but now I guess it will be a 2) and upgraded dist. if I can afford that. I may just use normal grade plugs, and upgraded wires, cap and rotor.

This as well as Goodyear's milageplus??? (blue hoses in summit catalog) and replacing all vac. hoses, belts & some slight head work. Poor truck is pretty bad off right now!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Dan, I have read an awful lot of AWFUL reviews and stuff about Jacobs on the Off Road site (sorry, Steve, I'm trying to quit). Have no firsthand experience, but everyone I know has loved MSD.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

10. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought a jacobs ultra team almost 3 years ago. There was no mileage difference, did idle smoother, no noticable power difference. The ign. box gave me problems, anti-theft circuit would kick in and kill the engine while on the expressway, at stop lights, in traffic. Kinda inconvenient.
    You can unplug the box out of the ign. circuit real easy. Thoughtful of Jacobs. The truck ran the same whether the box was plugged in or not,except without the box it didn't quit all the time. Jacobs would cheerfully "correct my problem" for a small fee. They said it was NOT their problem. Got a lot of cover your a$$ bull from them. They were actually doing me a favor by fixing it and charging me.
    I finally said screw it. I'm still running the coil and wires. If I can say anything that would keep you from buying Jacobs, I would. When I read their ads I still get mad.

John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

11. chad

chad Registered Member

You guys probably are going to slam me for what I am going to say, but I recently installed an Accel Super Coil on my 79 350 and it really is doing a good job, and was cheaper than MSD (which I wanted but couldn't afford) I got better idle, better throttle response, not much better mileage, but I don't care, I'm driving a square box down the road anyway, and more power off the line and throughout the acceleration. It cost me 56 bucks and took about 25 minutes to install, you have to take off your old coil and that retainer clip for the plug wires and the old spring and washer, and then all this stuff just clips right in.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Good to hear. I'm thinking about adding an Accel Super Coil on my HEI too. To keep costs down. One question though. When I do that, should I also replace the ignition module with a hi-po one?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Things to remember: A coil rated at 20,000 Volts or one that is rated at 40,000 Volts....will never see that type of voltage output unless you have a wire that is grounding on a header pipe or you have some corrosion going on a terminal...think of it as avaliable voltage on the 2ndry side of the ignition.

I tried calling Jacobs one day to chat about their system...but couldn't get thru...and since i've heard they suck anyways and are problem prone it'll be MSD for me. MSD ignition puts out somwhere between 2 to 4 shots of fire in the 30 degree window of opurtunity....so your engine actaully makes more power and gets better mileage by using the fuel more efficiantly. Just remember that all this good stuff gets cut off at eng revs above 3k...but on a trail how many of us are really cranked up over 3k anyways?

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

14. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Ever thought about CRANE HI-6?

On the Jacobs Issue, I have spoken with them on the phone and bought the iginition BOOK from them. (great book) pushy sales people. I have only seen 3 positive comments on Jacobs out of 3 bbs's and allot of NEGATIVE ONES.

M.S.D. makes good stuff, I had one on my Ranger and it did smooth up the idle and seemed to give it a little more pep. Also if you ever get close to a NASCAR Race car, they all run M.S.D. for the ignition, matter of fact they usually have 2 on board.

I was looking agian and came across the CRANE HI-6, I have the HI-6TR which comes with the Timing Retard control. It will let me retard the timing up to 20 degrees from in the cab by just turning a dial. I have not installed it yet, but talked with severl trusted friends that run drag cars and they had nothing but good stuff to say about it. It also comes with adjustable rev limiter built in and you dont have to swap any chips, just turn the little dial with a small flat head screw driver.

I have not installed it yet but will in the next 2 weeks and I can let you know more. I was told to get a GOOD set of wires becaue the box and coil (have thier Hotter HEI coil to) will smoke a cheap set and make the break down very fast. I bought a set of M.S.D. 8.5mm Super Conductor ones, nobody around here carries the CRANE WIRES and I thought I was going to have it in the next day after I got it, so I jumped on the best wires I could find.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

15. chad

chad Registered Member

I didn't change anything else when I put in the Accel Coil and everything seems to be fine. I talked to the guy at the parts store to see if I should get some higher grade plugs and wires and he said that that wouldn't be necessary. I have AC Delco plugs, and the wires are the set from Wal-Mart and they work just fine.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

16. BlueKnight

I hada cheap little MSD blaster coil on my jet boat and one day ponied up the dough and bought one of those big yellow Accel super coils. This 468 idles smoothly in the water(running dual 850's on a tunnel ram) when it used to load up and stall out. hole shots are better to.

17. I put in a MSD 6a with a blaster 2 coil and 8.5 superconductor wires and there is an increase in power. It's not like bolting on a super- charger but it helps. Real easy to install and no problems. Had it in for about two years so far.
    good luck

<font color=red>ABO</font color=red>