Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jacobs Ultra Team

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Sep 25, 2000.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Any body out ther put the complete Jacobs on their 350 TBI? It says about 18HP and 26 ftlb torque. My 91 is stock at the moment.

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I have not used one on the tbi but I know that there stuff is good. It shows even more if you have a performance exhaust and intake.

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have heard that the Jacobs ignition systems are bad (I wanted to say something else). I know a guy at work that put one on his 90 something Firebird (5.7 litre), he said that it worked for a while, and then it stopped working, so he was going to take it back and get his money back. I also heard from someone else that had one put on their truck (the shop that sold it to him installed it) and he had already gone through 2 systems, and they were going to install a MSD system on his vehicle. I don't know if Jacob's has different systems, however I am not impressed. I had called them and was talking to the sales rep about some kind of new product, and he was trying to sell me their ignition system and was asking if I was willing to try it, I declined, 10-16 hp or whatever it was (over a stock ignition system) for some ungodly amount of money wasn't worth it, I have my MSD system (which has lasted @12 years so far, and is on it's second vehicle) and I didn't pay near as much. They do have some decent sparkplug wires, but I would be leary of their systems. Maybe some else here has something good to say?? - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've just started looking into aftermarket ignitions, and I have also heard of some problems with the Jacobs. They do have a lifetime warrenty on thier wires, but I don't know how long the warranty on the ignition is.

I really don't know too much about the Utra Team or the MSD, do they replace some parts of your ignition or in addition to your ignition? How expensive is the Jacobs vs. the MSD? Or am I comparing apples and oranges?

Rene

[​IMG]

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I don't know about the Jacobs system, but with the MSD you can can get the box (6A, or 6AL) for about $125- 6A, and about $150-175- 6AL (has a rev limiter), and hook it up to your HEI distributor. You just basically take out the ignition module inside the cap and wire it in. This is one step which would get you using their ignition box, or you could go all out and get the box, distributor and coil. I have only had the distributor (mine is billet @$190) and coil for about 4 years, and the ignition box for about 12 years. I have no complaints about this system. I believe the Jacobs system is way more expensive. - Steve</font color=blue>
    http://www.msdignition.com/
    http://www.jacobselectronics.com/
    <font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I recall a while back that we had this conversation about Jacobs ignitions. The consensus was:
    1. They're great...when they work.
    2. They die quickly.
    3. They're expensive as hell.
    4. Their plug wires are outstanding.
    5. The customer service people are pushy.

This list is the majority opinion on this subject. There were people who had no problems with their Jacobs setups, but the bad outnumbered the good. That convinced me to go with an MSD when the money's there.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

18HP and 26 ftlb torque... [​IMG] Those claims ought to be illegal. Jacobs' products are overpriced, underquality, magazine ad hyped snake oil. STAY AWAY!

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Everything that jarhead said is pretty much true. When I upgrade my ignition, its going to be MSD all the way.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think it was Bigburb who had a Crane system. He said it was pretty good and was not as expensive as the Jacobs. Maybe you should investigate on their systems too.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've had one on my 88 for about a year. I bought the full package: ignition module, coil, cap, and wires. I noticed a significant increase in low end right after I put the system in and the engine ran much smoother. One day, after 3 months, the system died. I went to start it one morning and it just cranked. I plugged the old harness back in and it fired right up using the stock ignition with the Jacobs coil. Jacobs told me to send the ignition box back for a replacement but I was too lazy and put it off for about a month. I hooked it back up just for the heck of it and it fired right up. I haven't got a clue what was wrong with it but I never sent it back and it still works great. Jacobs wanted almost $600 for the system but I mentioned that I saw it in an add for about $350 and they honored that price without question. When I put the system in I used copper plugs gapped to .065 like Jacobs recommends but I recently put in Delco Rapidfires gapped to .075 and my milage went up about 2 mpg. I'm pretty happy with my system but if I was going to get another one I would probably get an MSD because they're a little cheaper and more widely available.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have never tried the jacobs system, but i have heard too many problems. because i live so far away it is not worth me buying one only to have it conk out. i have been using MSD products for the past 11 years on different cars and i love them, they last and last and last. i am very happy with them and their line of products. i plan to install one on my most recent 78, but i am interested in hearing opinions on cranes new system. anyone?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just have to say this is why I love this web-site! You guys are the best at preventing the un-informed from stupid purchases. I am currently deleting 'Jacobs' from my Favorites[​IMG]

Thanks, Rene

[​IMG]

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I have never used there ECM and I too find there claims just bit muchI do use there plug wires, the ones with the high temp boots I have burn the wire in two but that was due to me needing 180 boot in a few places not the 90 that the salesman sent. By the way when they say high temp they mean it the boat are creramic! not rubber at all!

When I burned the wire thay sent a new set of wire right out over night not just 2 I needed but a full set of 8.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When looking at aftermarket ignition products, you've got to remember that even replacing your plugs and wires can make a big difference in performance/mileage. Sometimes that is a large portion of the gains that you see with these products: you put on new plugs, wires and maybe distributor cap while you're installing it.

HEI's are pretty good as they are. Plus, the original equipment ignition is tested much more rigorously than an aftermarket company can afford to do. When you add in the years of continous improvement that has been done, the HEI is hard to beat for total reliability. It's always a good idea to run good wires and good plugs and that coupled with an aftermarket coil (like Accel's or MSD) will give you a good performer that is very reliable and very fixable if you have any problems. I'm not saying that they are the best performers around, but for the extra money of an aftermarket box, you don't really gain like they lead you to believe.

Now, if I had a Ford ignition, I would get rid of it in favor of something that keeps the moisture out.

BTW: Bosch platinum +4 plugs rock, but they aren't cheap.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

15. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Thanx for all of your input, looks like Jacobs is out and the money going to a header and aftermarket coil pack.