Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jager Build up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jagermiester, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

I will try to keep everyone up to date on my build up as it progresses. Right now I am still finallizing the plans but this is what I got so tell me what you think.

Truck as it sits
    79 GMC sierra 1500
    t350/203
    44 w/ 3.73 open
    12 bolt w/ 3.73 open
    hydroboost
    4" lift springs in the front 4" blocks in the rear 2" BL

Plans are as follows
    388 to become tpi
    heater removed
    firewall shaved
    all new wiring (including tpi)
    Goal is to completely clean up the engine bay

front suspension
    gm d60 w/ 4.88's and a selectable locker
    cage offroad extended radius arms w. SAS kit (basically the little c's needed to put radius arms on the axle) Leaf spring purches and shock purches shaved. fox 2.5" reservoir coilovers 16" travel (possibly a set of prerunner shocks to assist due to fullsizes being heavy). Limiting straps. Possibly be swapping to 3/4ton brakes to assist in saving wieght.

Steering
    Northwest fab crossover steering w/ a panhard rod. Possibly hydro assist. But dont know if that would help or hurt.

Rear suspension
    dodge d60 hd FF w/ 4.88's and a full spool, Disc brakes
    ORD shackle flip w/ a set of deaver or national 60" leaf springs (2-4" lift not sure yet) fox 2.0" prerunner shocks. Limiting straps.

Hopefully will be swapping to a t400/241 combo.

HAD drivelines front and rear.
    Full cage and spare tire holder on bed cage.
    Front fiberglass (might do the 88-98 upgrade kit from fiberglassunlimited which includes bith fenders and hood) If I do the upgrade kit I will do the newer style bed too all fiberglass w/ 3 inch bulge front and rear so I can get away with less lift. If not I will keep the 79 look and just find fenders and bedsides that are stock or maybe a slight bulge. Also fiberglass cowl hood.

Let me know what you guys think.

I am doing the radius arms instead of 4link b/c I dont want to 4 link. Please dont tell me too.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Overall sounds pretty cool.......but I hope you have a big wallet.

In regards to the body panels, I'm sure it would look neat but you might want to think about how you are going to use this vehicle. Almost any type of difficult trail will have a decent chance of body damage, especially with the flared out fenders, and that's some pricey stuff to destroy.

3. jagermiester

Thats why I said maybe. If I do these panels they will be able to take off. Then the tube underneath should suffice. BUt It probably wont get the bulged fenders.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you do not need a second set of shocks up front. The 16" 2.5 fox shocks should get the job done just fine. have you ever seen a 2.5" coilover? its not little thing. What is your plan? Prerunner I'm guessing?

And I'm gonna say it anyway, why radius arm? You think its going to be easier I'm betting. And to setup, yes it will be, but the manners will likely turn you off. Roll steer and binding aren't anything I care for myself. Why not consider a 3 link vs radius arms?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

6. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

that pretty much sums it up and dotn worry about the body so much cause its gonna get beat up anyway

7. jagermiester

As for the radius arms cage offroad's new design takes care of most of the binding. They installed them on a 78 f150 along with 6" springs up front and blocks in the rear and was able to get 4 feet under the rear tires (that is with the rear not contributing much. Other 3 tires still on the ground.)

I have done alot of research on the prerunnign sights in the last week and am being told that 9 out 10 guys also put on a nice set of bypass or prerunning shocks to aid the coilovers. Another option is hydraulic bump stops. But the additional shock helps in the landing and controlling the drop especially with a d 60 under the front. And from what Ive heard (no personal experience) But the way I am setting up my radius arms is basically like a triangulated 4 link and will also have a nice sway bar effect.

Beaterk20 thanks for the links but this is who I was talking about http://glassworksunlimited.com/chevy.shtml. And to everyone else thanks for the opinions and keep them coming along w/ more advice. Thanks