Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jarhead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Dec 6, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This might have been discussed before, but I just started reading the book and the "Favorite War Movie" post seemed to be spawing a conversation about it.

So my question is, what do you guys who are/were in the military - especially the Marines - think of the book or movie.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Never read it, never saw the movie. From the reviews I have read from the Marines, I very seriously doubt that I will do either in the near or far off future.................

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The tone of the book is fairly bitter so far. That's why I was wondering.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have not seen/read it primarily because of what friends of mine who served said about it.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The movie was ok for the emotional stress of being away from home, but other than that I didn't like it.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's one of my favorite movies that I've seen recently... I don't know or care how "realistic" it is...

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah I dont know how realistic it is but I still enjoyed watching it. mostly I guess it is the fact that every character has either lost his mind or loses it during the movie, makes it pretty funny watching all the crazyness.

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

but what I have heard about it is that it is very unrealistic to what it is really like to serve and is a disgrace to those that really did serve. that part I dont like about it.

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right, Jarhead;

Coming from someone who has been in for a while, my take on both the book and the movie is it is all right. It is not the greatest. It is a 4 year Lance Corporals view on the Corps, based off of a 4 year bad experience. Some of the things that happen are true, like the "DeerSlayer" movie and the whole boredom thing.
    In the book they left some things out of the movie that would be pertinent to it but it was all right without it.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 5. Had I not been an infantry man at one time during my career, I would have given it a lower score but I have "Been there and done that" and it is something a 4 year disgruntled infantyman would be like.

If oyu want to read a good book, check out "Flags of Our Fathers". I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet but looking forward to it.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was 0311 from 1993-1997... and thought the film was a pile of ****. ;)

Seriously... there is nothing about the USMC "grunt experience" that I recognize in the film. If they said the film was about some Hungarian Army guys or something, maybe I would have thought it was better.... but it was supposed to be about guys who had the same job I did... at a similar time (the Corps dont change all that much in 2 years).

Obviously I wasn't in Saudi in 1991... and maybe the author of the book very well felt the grunts were exactly like he said they were... but if they were, everything changed in 1992.

btw, I was in GTMO, 2/5 and 3/4 in my time... I dunno what units Mr Jarhead was in... but whichever one(s) it was must be where they sent all the gay recruits. Seriously... that whole movie had more gay overtones than the "jumping on the bed" scene in the last Lord of the Rings flick.. :eek1:

j

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The unit in question for the movie was 2/7, a sister battalion of mine, and yes I enjoyed the trip to the sandbox in 90-91. As someone said, the sitting around bored part was the only hint of reality.
    1st and foremost, someone doesn't walk up to a boot and say "hey, you wanna be a Sniper?" Those guys are the hard of the Hard Corps, and you have ask them if you can try to be one of them. Ther indoc is as hard as Recon.
    The only other truth in the story is that 2/7 walked into Kuwait one day ahead of ther official ground offensive.
    The perspective the book is written from is what was termed when I was in as a **** bag/bird. I was also a Lance Corporal during Desert Storm, but I liked what I was doing.
    I really hate to see the service (any branch) portrayed so poorly.

Semper Fidelis,
    John

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thanks for posting up your own perspective, as someone who was actually there. Pretty much all I can do, since I went in later, is voice skepticism about it.

The guy seems to be sort of a head case, IMO. I know all grunts who have trained for a long time and then are sent to "the front"... and then have to wait for a long time go through a series of psycological things related to "the waiting". But this guy seems as messed up in the head about sitting around, as some vets are from actually being "in the ****" and seeing all their friends get killed. Kind of wierd.

scout snipers were pretty good guys, but the best I ever worked with was the Force Recon bubbas doing hostage rescue stuff. We did quite a bit of training with them when I deployed with 2/5. They carried the mp5s and tricked out 45s to storm buildings with hostages kept in them, while us "trailer platoon" guys supported them. We'd search/cuff etc both good guys and bad guys, right behind the recon guys as they moved through a building + we had to providing security outside the target building because they didn't have any "long guns" to do it with. I was a M249 gunner at the time, which was cool... because I was there to hose the **** out of any reinforcements that might try to come help the terrorists in the target building. :thumb:

Best thing about spec ops guys is that they only care about one thing: how good you are at your job. Rank, years of service, kissing ass and all that other bull**** doesn't mean jack to those guys. If you are a PFC but have your **** together, these guys respect you more than a SSgt who is a **** up. This was a breathe of fresh air, of course, and made me want to hang with those guys. I never went recon myself because I can't swim for **** (compared to them, I can swim...), so I stuck with the regular 0311 job.

At any rate, good post.

j

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I read the book a few years ago; didn't see the movie.

I thought the book was, as already stated, written from the perspective of a disgruntled 4-and-out LCpl. I was NOT impressed at all. i was in no hurry to see the movie, and after hearing some friends talk about it, I feel I made the right decision.