Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JB Weld for a thread sealant?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, May 14, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Why not.

When I decided to try and tap my own steering box for hydro, I kinda messed up the first hole. I started the hole in the right spot, but angled the bit a little in the wrong direction and didn't hit the passage very well. So I figured since I have a spare box I can clean up if I need to, I had nothing to lose to try and fix my mistake. So I backed the drill out and drilled back into the same hole at a different angle. Obviously things got a bit oblong, but it tapped fine. The fitting screws right into it nice and securely, but there was a bit of a gap left that caused for some leakage. So I cleaned things out, got the fitting barely threaded in, slopped some JB Weld on it, and tightened it up. I'll have to see how it holds, but I think it should be fine. At least I didn't screw up my friends box when I tapped his.

[​IMG]

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya it will hold im sure

on another note, blue loctite works real good for thread sealant for air fittings, little more expinsive than teflon tape, but it works real good.