Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JB-Weld on Headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to install a set of Hedman universal air injector tubes into a set of headers, which where not designed for air injection tubes. All I need to do, in order to install these injection tubes is drill the correct size hole into each of the eight header manifold tubes, insert the air injection tubes into the holes, and then tack weld them closed, so there will not be any leaks. The only problem is that I am not a good enough welder yet to weld them airtight without any leaks into that tight of a space. I was thinking of using JB-Weld instead because it would be easy to manipulate in a tight space, thus making the seal airtight. My question is: can JB-Weld handle the heat of a set of headers without distorting and contorting, and allowing the headers to leak over time?

[​IMG]

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

simple answer, no. Not on headers. It MIGHT work down the exhaust more, but even at the collectors (i have an o2 bung 6" from the collectors on my long tubes...someone did a crappy weld and a hole burned through) it won't hold it. Tried it, it held for a day or two, but eventually burned up.

3. 1-ton

Allright, Thanks.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

no... it will not work...
    there may be other hi temp products Im unaware of...

to do it right you have to remove them or get better at welding...

5. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Its really not all that tough to weld it. I did the same thing a couple years ago, and I used a crappy little arc welder. It didnt look very good but it worked. I found out a couple weeks later that the local muffler shop would have only charged me $25!

6. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

like others have said, just go to a muffler shop. They will do it cheap enough if you don't trust yourself.

7. 1-ton

It is so hard to find somebody that is a decent welder, and if you do, they want prevailing Union wages to touch anything (about $42 an hour). Most of the guys in a muffler shops suck at welding. I just had a muffler shop do a simple exhaust tip, and the welding looked like a blind man with Cerebral Palsy and Down Syndrome did the job.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That's sig material right there! :haha:

-- A

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You need to find a better exhaust shop. I had a local shop that does CUSTOM exhaust do my truck. Diesel 6.2 with a new cross over to turbo manifold, plus a 3'' exhaust out back. I think it was less than $150 for everything. This required alot fitting too. Anyway they know weld thinwall tube!

10. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Gas weld them on then. It's a lot easier, and if you don't have a torch, it's a good excuse to get one.:laugh:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Braze them...

I'd use flux coated brazing rod to secure them...its plenty strong,will take the heat(I've brazed stove pipes to 55 gallon drums for the chimmney connection,and gotten them pretty darn close to the melting point of the brazing rod,and have never had one fail yet!)..and its a hell of a lot easier to braze than weld,it flows right in and makes a good airtight seal....its as easy as soldering once you get the knack of it..oxyacetalyne or oxypropane torch is all you need ..:crazy:

12. 1-ton

That is a good idea. Since I make my living in electronics, my soldering abilities are pretty good. Thanks for the idea.