Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JB Weld on my radiator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Nov 11, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I found a little leak in the passenger side of my radiator on the seem. If I dry it, sand it, and put some JB Weld on it, will I be okay?

TIA

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It might, i've never tried it, i've always just gotten one of those little bottle propane torches and some solder and soldered em up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I would think some JB would work on that. Id also put a bottle of BarsLeak in that radiator too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i used jbweld and it didnt hold very long at all. it is easy to solder the hole just make sure you use the acid core solder and just get it hot enough stick.

5. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

okay thanks. Where can I get that Solder? can I just apply it with a regular Solder gun?

Thanks for all the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    can I just apply it with a regular Solder gun?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope. It doesn't generate enough heat. A radiator is designed as a giant heat sink so it is very efficient at moving heat away from the area you're trying to solder. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'll need a torch and a steady hand. Too much heat and you'll loosen the side tank. Too little heat and you'll get a cold solder joint that will crack and leak soon. You might want to check with some local radiator shops and ask what they would charge to resolder the leak if you remove the radiator and carry it in to them. It could be pretty cheap.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Radiator shop will charge about $10...you might see about getting the whole thing cleaned out too if it hasn't been done in a while. That's around $30 here. Good luck!

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I paid $35 to get mine cleaned and soldered at a radiator shop, sure beat paying $400 for a new one.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, either take it to a shop or if you are tight on $$, autozone sells this stuff in a little plastic tube...its like a roll of putty, its gray with a black center. All you do is mash it up and put it on where its split...assuming its on one of the tanks. When its on there, you can wet your finger and smooth it out and it almost looks 'factory' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Seriously though, this stuff works great! I cant remember the name of it though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Its for all metals and also for gas tanks and radiators. Its also the only thing we could find that actually FULLY CURED in ONE HOUR. everything else...even JB QUICK fully cures after 24 hours. My buddies radiator actually SPLIT the whole tank from top to bottom, right on the seem apart /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Water was coming out faster than we could put it in (dont ask how it happened). He was short on $$$ for a new one so we tried this. Its been on there for TWO MONTHS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand still going strong /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll get the name of it if you want.

10. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

A torch may be a good trail fix, but it's not going to last. If you have enough corrosion to eat away the solder from the inside and create a leak, it's time to pay the piper and buy a new one. You will just buy a little time if you patch it.