Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JBA Headers 1830-5 Has anyone used these before???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by qqsched, Feb 10, 2005.

1. qqsched

qqsched Registered Member

I am thinking about purchasing these headers for my 1987 K-5 Blazer 350 5.7 with air and wondering if I can get some feedback from you guys. I wanted to know if these are easy to install and if they actually works. Any information you can provide me is greatly appreicated. Thanks again!!!

2. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

Headers

I was reading a post on another forum yesterday were a guy with an 88 K5 installed a set of shorty headers and a high flow cat, he said that there was a noticable gain. I have a 90 K5 a and my passenger side axhaust manifold is cracked, im going with a set of summit shorty headers and a high flow cat, with 3'' pipe back to the muffler, 3'' inlet, duel 2.5'' outlet.

3. qqsched

My passenger manifold is cracked too. I am having a lot of trouble finding some shory headers for my 87 blazer. I guess 87 is a bad year for blazers as far as aftermarket parts. JBA seems to be a good fit. I am a little worried about installing it and if there is some modifications involved. I've already installed a high flow cat and a 3 inch flowmaster exhaust system.

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I have a set on my 88. I had the same deal- cracked manifold. So I got a good deal on the JBA's. Pros and cons... Pro-A.I.R. and 02 bung in the same place as the stock manifold. They fit in place of the stock manifold. Heavy duty construction. Look good. 50 State legal. Flow better than factory manifolds. Cons- For some reason mine were a mutha to install. Spark plug acsess not as good as manifolds. Bolt acsess sucks. One of the plugs on the LH side needs a different plug wire. Straight not a 90. They come with a special shield for that one plug. Kind of funky. I bought a couple of different wrenches that I modified to try and sneak around on some of the header bolts. Some bolts have pleanty of clearance from up top, some you will have to get at from underneath and a couple from in between the wheel house and the frame. Knowing that now I would look at the Edelbrock TES headers. My JBA's did well for me in a pinch but I would not buy them again. What I would like to find is a header like the Edelbrocks with A.I.R. and Vortec egr pipe....

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Awe yeah, spark plugs and headers. Have you tried the short style plugs ?? Accel make shorty plugs. They're a little easier too work with.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Edelbrocks plug acces is no better than JBA. I have the TES system I have to use a Box end wrench on 1 or 2 of my plugs.
    But
    Personally i like the Edelbrock TES system better than the JBA headers because the EdelbrockTES system includes a new Y pipe with a lot less restriction then the stock Y pipe. JBAs I believe, use the stock Y pipe and cost more.

BTW Summit does not make shorty headers for 87-91 K5s and Subs. The ones they advertise are for IFS trucks.

For shorty headers you are pretty much limited to
    JBA
    Edelbrock TES system
    Doug Thorley try Ys -These are very good headers.

Aslo will add the Edelbrock TES is easy to install. It bolts right up no problem.
    I have had mine on for over 5 years and have had no problems or gasket leaks.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm sure its just sticker shock......

BUT!?

$699.99!?!?!?!:yikes:

ouch!:blush:

8. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

anyone got the summit part number for the shorty headers?

9. qqsched

Thanks guys for all of the usefull information. It looks like I have a couple of choices and decisions to make.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just saw you live in Sparks.IMHO Your best deal would be to get the Edelbrock TES system from The Summit store there.They should have them in stock. You can get it over the counter and save the S/H charge. It will meet the Nv smog regs no problem. Should bolt right up to your FM exhaust. I had a similar system till rocks modified/removed the tail pipe.:grin: Now I just run a turn down after the 70 series FM Muff

Chevyjeff: Please reread my earlier post re: The summit Part #

11. qqsched

Thanks for the suggestion. I heard they heat up pretty bad. Is this true?? I was told to get a ceramic coated because it holds up heat better painted steel and its good for the engine.

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Im runnin one of those on the tightest one.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have no heat problems and I tow a lot with my k5. I guess the ceramic coated are better for druability and they dont rust. But I use my k5 hard and it sees a lot of off road miles. My headers are still in very good condition. After 5 years of hard use they are holding up very well and dont have any rust on them. The y pipe is a little rusty but its nothing a wire brush and a coat of heat paint wont cure.

If you want to spend 100 bucks more for a set of coated headers Look into the doug Thorley try ys I believe you can get them with AIR tubes call them and see.http://www.thorleyheaders.com. Or check with Summit they sell them
    [​IMG]

Personally i think what JBA wants for their shorty headers is way out of line.I just dont think they are worth it.

14. qqsched

Yep, those JBA's cost too much money for some shorty headers. Thanks for the Doug Thourley suggestion. I think Summit stocks them at the Sparks retail store.