Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JBA Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Aug 11, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi, I've been pricing out headers, and what I have found is that JBA direct fit shorties are $600 CDN compared to $200 for crappy Flowtechs + $400 install/pipe work; so I might as well get the nice JBA's. BUT before I order them, does anybody have them? What do people think of them?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i got em. i like the looks of them, ive never had stock exaust manifolds so i dunno about the difference they make but, iu do know that the rearmost spark plug on the passenger side is A BITCH to get in and out.

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I second that! I have the c eramic coated shorties and love them. That 1 plug really sucks bad!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Shorties are a complete waste of money for a motor that has had head work and a cam. Longtubes are the only way to go.

I have Dynomax jet-hot coated headers and if the mud hadn't eaten the coating off them they'd be perfect. They're great for $200.

I also have the pipe kit from Dynomax on mine. Worth every dime.

5. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Isn't the spark plug problem going to be an issue with any set of headers I pick?

Any problems with the starter overheating with these headers?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Tim,s right! Shorties would be a total waste of $600 with your engine.
    Plugs are usually easier to get at with long tube headers.
    You can always get a starter heat sheild if your starter gets too hot.
    If you have emission issues You might want to check into a set of Doug Thorleys

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No matter what headers you put on a small block, your starter will get heat soak. I'm going to try the Ford Solenoid on my truck, but I doubt that will even eliminate it completely. I already have a heat shield.

I think shortie headers are the stupidist thing that the aftermarket has ever came up with. Someone simply said, "Let's make it look like we've got headers and perform like we've got manifolds." I have no clue why anyone would waste their money on more pipes to rust out when manifolds do the same thing and last for a lot longer.

My headers are coated, I have a heat shield, and I still get starter heat soak on the trail. It works fine when I go to the mall, but on the trail, I'm glad I've got a manual!

8. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

2 words DOUG THORLEY nothing even comes close /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

DEFINITELY!

I'm going to have to get un-cheap and ditch my Dynomax Jet-Hot coated ones for some thorleys one day.