Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jc whitney body repair panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaveBlazer, Jul 24, 2000.

1. DaveBlazer

DaveBlazer Registered Member

Has anyone here ordered repair panels from jc whitney? I was wondering on the quality and fit. I've got alot of little scab in pieces I wanted to order from them.
    heres the list
    1. Pass side rocker panel ($11.95)(dented)
    2. Cab corners (both in and out)(total $51.80)(rusted)
    3. upper wheel arch for rear quarters (both sides)($39.90)(rusted and dented pass side)
    4. Lower tailgate panel(rusted)($22.95)
    5. lower front section pass rear quater(dented)(rusted)($18.95)
    6. lower rear section rear quarter(dented and rusted pass)(rusted drivers side)($37.95)
    total $ 261.35
    what do you guys think? it really sounds like alot now that I type it all out.
    I really really don't want to use mud on much.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They are typically junk. There was a recent thread on the '67 -'72 board where people were saying that the tailgates that they sell will bend if you sit on them.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i heard they fit well tey are just thin, good for doubling though and cheaper than most other stuff

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i used some body repair panels from jcw on my rig. i ordered the rocker panel replacements and a generic stamped piece to patch the cargo area. the rockers fit like a glove but the bed piece was for a truck and didnt quite line up with the rest of the floor. no big deal though if you are laying some carpet down. that is just my experience with them.
    MTPockets.

5. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

I also purchased the rocker panels and they fit very well. I also got the repair panels for the doors but the fit was not nearly as good. I ended up finding good doors elsewhere

6. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I didn't get JCW but got some doors through a friend that were as cheap in price - and it shows. The fit is awful. Now that they have been painted, and speakers installed, etc. I'm ready to throw them out and look for a used pair.

As the price is about the same, I assume the quality is, too.

Mine suck.

79 guy

Owner of Two Great 4WD
    - '79 Blazer
    - '99 ML320

7. DaveBlazer

thanks guys that helps! saved me some money! most of my spots are small rust spots but the pass side rocker I definatly need. what about using a fiberglass filler instead of bondo? This is my first attempt at doing body work on anything and I kind of need those do's and don'ts of it, any sugestions would help greatly! Hows the fiberglass stuff work? If I undercoat the whole thing and paint it how long till it starts showing or will it ever?
    The pass side quarter is probably the worst dented in front and back with a about a 3in x 1 in spot of rust at the top of the wheel well
    tailgate has about a 5in x 1in spot thats pretty rusted at the bottom other than that its perfect
    drivers side quarter is just starting to rust no holes possible fiberglass filler
    and last but not least the cab corners are bad on the outside twords the sides of the truck, the guy who owned it b4 me put peices of sheet metle inside the cab and screwed them in to patch them.
    and the floor seems week under the pass seat.
    The rest of the Blazer is fine (doors,hood,fenders)
    Thanks again for the help!
    Dave

8. DaveBlazer

just keeping it alive