Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep Dana 44 Knuckles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jan 22, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can I use Dana 44 Knuckles off a Jeep? My buddy has a set of flat tops from a Jeep (not sure what Jeep) The reason I want to use them is the tie rod goes on top of the knuckles like the 10b? Will the GM spindles bolt up to these?

Thanks

2. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

The ackermann angles will be wrong for any vehicle that has a different wheelbase than the Jeep that it came off of.

That said, I used 1979 F-150 knuckles on a 1972 Bronco d44 in my 1998 Jeep. Put about 65,000 highway miles on it without abnormal wear on the tires. It drove like new.

Most d44 stuff will interchange with other d44 stuff. Check and make sure that the camber was not set differently because of a difference in the knuckles (I don't have a clue). I do know from different makes (Ford --> Jeep) the camber specs was set differently from the factory. I don't think this is as much of an issue, though.

You could do like I did and put 3/4 chrome moly heims for steering and forget about stock stuff...

EDIT: oops... I didn't pay attention. I don't know if they'll bolt to a 10 bolt. I don't think so. But see the 3/4 chrome moly ends. They work extremely well and I will be changing my Blazer to these like the Jeep was.

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Ran Jeep knuckles on mine for years. WOrks Great. I had a 10 Bolt and put the 44 knuckles on (from a jeep) and it was fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. MTBLAZER89

anybody else??

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't have experience yet, but the set of D44 flat top knuckles I bought were of something other then a Chevy. The passenger side knuckle is drilled and taped with the 3 bolts you need for the crossover, but the drivers side knuckle is virgin. No bolts, no holes. So it must have come from something like a Jeep that had crossover steering from the factory, otherwise it would have had been drilled for the Chevy steering arm. I bought them from a respected member from this site so I am not worried that they will work right.

Harley

6. MTBLAZER89

OK to clarify I talked to a buddy last night and he said Wagoneer Knuckles. So I think as long as my spindles will bolt to them I should be ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If they are flat tops they will work/swap. Just make sure you get a set designed for true cross-over and not one of the Ford style (some J10s & Waggeys used it, too) inverted T designs. Both knuckles look like a R/H 10B knuckle and cannot be used for x-over.