Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep help for a friend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quaddawg, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this is frowned on, but an internet friend of mine just bought this jeep, and is having handling problems.. I know nothing about TJ's or any other Jeep for that matter, could someone familiar with them take a look at this and tell me why the springs are all fuggered up? looks pretty two-bit to me...

http://www.forumsigs.com/users/quaddawg605/front.jpg
    http://www.forumsigs.com/users/quaddawg605/MessedUpSpring.jpg
    http://www.forumsigs.com/users/quaddawg605/Passengerside.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Could the springs be upside down? I put a lift on my friend Rubicon, the original and the new springs did not look that wierd.

They could also not be mounted in the right rotation(spring end might not be in the pocket. Now that I think about it that is probably the problem. See if the ends of the springs are in the pockets on the bottom perch.

3. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I will ask him.. I feel ignorant, but what is that sticking on the inside of the spring? I assumed it was a shock, but there isn't a shaft sticking out the bottom, and there is a shock behind the spring..... it just doesn't look right, like it was lifted, without using a longer spring? something is wrong here..

Look at his pitman arm, doesn't it look like he needs about a 4 inch drop unit?

He says that it darts around on the road at speed.

4. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Thats just the bumpstop mount.... on lift kits.... they usually give you a longer poly bumpstop for the end of it.

Yeah it looks like it could use a dropped pitman arm. check the balljoints and the tierod ends... that could cause the dartiness at speed. The pitman arm will only affect bump steer (increases it)

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i did a 4" on a jeep with coils and it was about that big. that kit came with longer lower arms. he might have only 1/2 a kit in the sucker. and that will make it handle like crap. and it looks like stock arm , it needs a arm. linkige on stearing is to steep of angles. will make it bump and dive bad. did he buy it like that or he do it him self. looks like a cheep kit or left over parts and not all there.

6. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

He's a youngun, bout 19 years old, his dad bought it for him.. he bought it like that, but he wants to make it right

7. sweetk30

looks like its missing parts. find a nother 1 and compare them or call lift companeys for a parts blowup and see whats missing. with the missing longer arms on the bottom if required for that kit it may have the axle in the wrong position.

8. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Hey, you did a 4 inch on a Jeep, what all was included?

9. sweetk30

4 coils, drop links for swaybar , bump extenders, lower links , rear hardware and relocation brackets for trackbars, and miss stuff like that. and tcase drop and links for the tcase shifter all from superlift. nice easy kit and he rides on 33' tires and works great after 1 year.

10. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

So it is taller coils that actually give the lift in the front end? Those coils in the pictures are all misaligned, they look horrible, do they usually bulge out sideways like that??? looks like sh$*....

11. sweetk30

yes and the missing parts are most likly causing this. if possible ask old owner the truth and get it done correctly. the rear is taller coils also.

12. slimyjaime

slimyjaime Newbie

I was not able to see the pics of the Jeep, but it sounds like the springs were not rotated into the buckets correctly and when they were tightened down to the axle they were all wacked out, because thats what mine did (never drove it like that) it just looked wrong. As far as the dancing around on the road, jeeps have what is known as "death wobble" it is as scary as the name implies. It only happened to me a few times, it happens when you hit a bump at speed an turn ever so slightly then it all hits the fan and your jeep starts shaking like a crack addict going through withdrawl, the entire front end starts trembling violently. A front end alignment really helped out but it did not compleatly cure it. And yes I used the same kit as the other guy, the Superlift, it was a great product, and i put it on myself.

13. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Pics fixed now.

No, it doesn't have death wobble, been there done that, sucks.....;)