Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep hurricane..... HOLY ****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Apr 16, 2005.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Just saw this thing on speed channel and almost had to change my pants...

2 hemis one in the front, one in the rear = 640 hp

4 wheel steer with zero turn radius... the front and rear tires turn in opposite directions to literally crap walk into a complete circle giving the jeep the ability to turn 360 degrees without ever really moving. for example if you took a pole and stuck it through the middle of the jeep then jacked it up and spun it around you would have the turning radius of the hurricane. (click on the middle photo 3 rows down)

Winch

14 inches of ground clearence

4 wheel independent suspension

37 inch tires.

If this thing ever comes out I will do everything in my power to own one.

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/hurricane/gallery.html

sickest thing i've ever seen.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

repost

I don't think its that sick. It will never see production, its independent suspension and I'd bet after enough times that steering setup goes to the dogs.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

meh, lame.

1) its a heep.

2) its IFS/IRS

3) two engines... nothing good is going to come out of that. One Viper v10 engine would be infinitely better than two hemis. Can you imagine the bill when you have to rebuild them?!

j

4. beastofablaze

good points....

we can't say if the steering does or doens't go to the dogs but if it held up that would be awesome and if you could afford to buy something like that i'm sure you can afford 5 grand to get a couple hemis rebuilt after 200,000 miles.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The truning radius was pretty insase, 0*, lol.

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Are you saying the that the IFS on a H1 hummer is crap?? Because Jeep based their Hurricane IFS on the H1... yeah, it's smaller, but it doesn't need to be any bigger... and nothing is wrong with IFS if you are doing "donuts" in the parking lot..

7. jekbrown

yes. I drove hummers plenty when I was in the grunts... the IFS is tough, you can beat on it pretty good with a heavy azz loaded down hummer (gets high marks from me in that regard).... but flex/wheel travel is pretty abysmal. I wouldn't trade my leaf sprung D60 for a hummers IFS thats for sure. Would you?

j

8. beastofablaze

the hummers ifs is weak IMO because it doesn't flex... from the "looks" of this thing and what it was made to do i doubt the ifs/irs has bad flex. can't be sure tho.

Hummers are WAY overated.... i would gladly put money on a lifted blazer with a few motor tweaks over the H2 in a competition.

but since it is a hummer everybody and their brother thinks it is the end all be all 4x4 and it can do anything its got the best reputation in the business, real or hype. Mostly because people who have never wheeled or never wheeled hard see videos of military h1's and automatically think "that is the best 4x4 ever made" when in reality 65% of the rigs on this site would kick its azz in a comp or just bashin.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

so what does the motor power.... adjacent wheels?

10. beastofablaze

I was wondering the same thing.

11. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Dude, that thing is SICK.......
    what a frickin babe magnet that would be at the beach. :cool1:

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Everyone bitching about the independent suspension needs to get a clue and realize that that thing has 20" of wheel travel on every wheel. 90% of the trucks on this site dont even have that so you can take your "IFS sucks" argument and cram it. That thing is an incredible piece of engineering but I'm sure the cost is way too high to market. A link to a page about it was posted on another forum I'll see if I can find it.

13. jekbrown

oh brother. IFS does suck. It may be the best IFS on the planet... but you know what? IFS systems are inherantly more complex, and therefore MUCH more expensive to modify (this is why I can lift my K5 for $400 while a Hummer H2 lift can run you $4000). Even when you have a million dollars to spend on it, IFS doesn't side-hill as well as a solid axle does. Just ask the rock crawler team that tried using it. They had tens of thousands (at least) in that blingin' IFS... it was plenty strong but for performance reasons they have since scrapped it and went solid again. If you can build an IFS that performs as well in all types of terrain, is as strong, and relatively inexpensive to modify as a solid axle then by all means do so. Billions of $ and who knows how many engineer man-hours have been spent on IFS and it ain't happened yet. Good luck.

j