Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep J-10 Axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Dec 6, 2005.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Will the Axles off a 1/2 ton Jeep j-10 1977 truck bolt up to my 91 k5? I can get the whole truck for $150. And it has 4.10 gears in it, but i'm not sure the make of the axles (I assume Dana 44's) or where the spring perches are in relation to my 10 bolts. Anyhow i'm looking for a cheap way to lower my gear ratio but I don't want alot of headaches while doing it.
    Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I believe they will bolt up, but the front axle is spring under. So unless you want to convert to spring under, you would have to try and convert it to a spring over setup. A buddy who is into FSJs and I have discussed the possibility of puting a Chevy front axle under one of the J10s he had.

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I forgot they were sprung under! Oh well it sounded to good to be true. Thanks

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Also, some if not most D44's under a Waggy are a little narrower than GM axles.

I'd stick with GM stuff and find a 3/4 ton.... I have some 4.10 gears for a 14ff if you need them.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have 76 or 77 j10 axles here that are going on a project. the WMS is 65" on the front and the rear, 2" narrower than the stock chevy axles. the rear spring spacing is really wide, almost to the drums. as mentioned the front is spring under, the spring spacing is about the same as a chevy, jeeps 33.5" vs chevys 34.5"