Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep Junk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnakeEyes, Apr 19, 2000.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

OK Folks, I am a Chevy man, and then some! HOWEVER, I have a poor friend who needs clutch job done on his Jeep CJ7.
    :It is a 1989 with a manual 5 speed. As I understand it, there are 2 flavors of tranny available and I’m not sure which flavor he has. The question is this. I’ve got to remove the mess to get at the clutch assembly, of course, and I ‘m not sure how to get the “stick” off the stub coming out of the tranny. Any input here???
    I’ve had this (similar) post on a Jeep BBB for a week and got “0” response. Those folks are about as helpful as a Rubber Crutch. Wonder if they actually know anything? Any body out there done this job!???
    Thanks for the help!!!
    Snake

2. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I'm sure if you called the dealership they could tell you, or a local shop that works on 4x4's or manual transmissions.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It's probably similar to the GM style. The cap the holds the stick in pushes down and rotates. The stick should come out. I usually use the handles of channel lock pliers to push down and twist to remove the stick on my 465 4spd. Good luck!

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

4. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

The jeep guys may have been confused. A 1989 would be a Wrangler. 1986 was the last year for the CJ-7. Don't know what tranny that is, but it should be a Dana 20 t-case.

Blazin' in Flagstaff