Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buddiesel, Mar 25, 2004.

1. buddiesel

buddiesel Registered Member

Anyone know how auto locking hubs work? My daily driver is a 95 jeep Cherokee, it has also pulled my K5 out of more then one mud puddle as I usually leave it parked at the trail head. Lately it has been making a winding sound that speeds up as I move. I thought it was a brake pad but I checked them and they were fine. While playing with the breaks I noticed that if I spun the front tire the front drive shaft spins, I know in my K5 it only does this if the hubs are locked but the jeep was supposed to be in 2wheel drive. I have no idea how auto locking hubs work but I figure if they were working correctly turning the tire would not spin the drive shaft.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is it an actual auto hub? I thought newer jeep front axles had unit bearings without provision for locking hubs (auto or manual). /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Other brands of truck don't have hubs anymore either. Most had a center axle disconnect (dodge). I think jeeps just let the front spin all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

They are unit bearings. You either have the 231 or 242. I bet your driveshaft is the noise culprit. You can pull it in a few minutes and drive it to see if the noise is gone.