Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jeep rubicon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bUrLyBlAzEr89, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

I just finished reading a great article from 4wheelparts.coms mag. and the jeep rubicon is fully loaded and they tested it out at Moab. The rubicon comes stock with: 31' mt/r, front and rear air lockers, dana 44 front and rear, 410 gears, rock sliders, 4.0 litre v6, 190 hp, front and rear disc brakes! lots of goodies too

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif " Bought not built " /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

cool if yer a yuppie lookin to impress yer daddy with an air switch /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It'll be like the guys who go out and buy a sports car and immediately think they can drive it like one.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

inline 6, not a V6

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, the rubicon might be pretty bad rolling off the line... but how about me and mr. Jeep owner hook up our rigs and see who can pull who all over the parking lot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's actually not a bad little rig. I would say it's extreme or hard-core (like some rigs on this site), but for stock, it's got alot that even the new GM's are lacking. For someone who camps and does occasional milder trails, that thing would be perfect. I wonder if that new 7 year drivetrain warranty for Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler vehicles applies to the Rubicon? If it did that would be sweet. Again there are better rigs out there, and it may be bought not built, but it's not a bad little package for the price and warranty for a COMPLETELY STOCK vehicle. Just my two pennies /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

In all honesty, your right. When you think about the jeeps size and what gear they put under it, with the air lockers and a really low 4lo Rubicons are probably one of the best "out of the box" offroaders made today. With a little bit of lift and some bigger tires a Rubicon could make some jeep nut very happy. I'll stick with a bow-tie, thank you very much.

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

In all honesty, your right. When you think about the jeeps size and what gear they put under it, with the air lockers and a really low 4lo Rubicons are probably one of the best "out of the box" offroaders made today. With a little bit of lift and some bigger tires a Rubicon could make some jeep nut very happy. I'll stick with a bow-tie, thank you very much.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that there will probably be a lot of Rubicons that never really see much dirt, but the concept is great. I like building my own rig, but I can't fault anyone for buying a production rig that's already well setup......and has a warranty! I haven't seen the pricing yet, but the cost of getting these options will probably be cheaper than if you bought them aftermarket plus the reliability of factory parts will almost always be better than aftermarket.

The Rubicon will probably be known as the most capable factory vehicle produced overall. Sure, there MIGHT be places where something like a Hummer will outperform it but in general the Hummer is too big, too heavy, and too underpowered for real great off-road performance in our area.

Slap some lift and 35's on the Rubicon and you have a vehicle capable of tackling most hardcore trails.

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You mean to tell me a vehicle that turns from an SUV to a truck and has crappy plastic cladding slapped all over the sides isn't as good as that. Damn, and I thought the Avalanche was hard core, haha. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

A 2.5" lift and some 33"s would have been tame enough for most and still make it capable little jeep. Glad to see someone understand the benefits of a solid front still.

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Whoever buys one to take it off road will become property of the dealer. We will void the warranty if there is any modifications or signs of off road damage

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Well whats the point then?

13. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

dont you already have to own a jeep to buy a rubicon? and im with calclips let the tug o war begin!!!!!! ha can you imagine two jeeps in a drive way ....its like a pair of roller skates.

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I still wouldn't want one in deep gumbo. Might be decent in the rocks and snow but it is too short for mud and sand. As for a stock vehicle it is most likely one of the best vehicle straight off the floor.
    There is something about the built not bought way of doing things. Most of the time you tend to do your mods in steps and gain experiance in the process, while if you buy it all outright at once you will be unsure of yourself and your vehicle, or worse yet, too confident in your vehicle.

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Whoever buys one to take it off road will become property of the dealer. We will void the warranty if there is any modifications or signs of off road damage

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't think so , I am affeliated with a shop that puts suspension and body lifts on brand new jeeps every day and no issues with the warranty. A very good freind of mine has an 01 Jeep Wrangler, Full teraflex system, Spool in the rear, belly up skid, etc. etc. and I dropped him off atthe dealer two days ago to pick up his jeep . He had the Ac repaired under warranty and the Factory wiring harness.

AS far as the Rubicon goes, I am considering buying one for my wife.Out of the box it is a VERY capable rig. Like it was stated above, a little tweakin and you have a bad ass trail/street rig. Anyways, just my .o2

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Exactly /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    It's not a moster mud truck or the ultimate trail rig, so you aren't going to do extreme trails with it, even with a lift and bigger tires. My thought is that it is very capable right out of the box for the "average weekend warrior". Some people in today's world don't have 5 minutes to pick their own nose /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif nevermind spend hours in the driveway swapping axles or installing a locker, etc. etc. so they dismiss the idea of a part time trail rig. I think because of this, they are missing out on what this sport has to offer. It's not all about big HP, monster rocks/mud holes, etc., it is also about enjoying the "great outdoors" and in most cases enjoying parts of nature that you can't get to in a Subaru Outback (even if it is all-wheel-drive /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ). I think more people would be willing to wander off the beaten path (a little) if they knew they had a vehicle that would do it, and still be warranteed the next day so they would not have to spend hours in the driveway afterward to fix it (assuming it wasn't thrashed in such a way that no warranty would cover it........there are boundries and common sense).

I agree that I have learned alot, because of fixing and/or upgrading my rig, and I appreciate the knowledge I have gained, but I am young (26), not married, and have no kids so I have had the luxury of time and $$ to do these things. I know there will come a day when time and $$ is more limited. I would consider the Rubicon because it can be used as a family vehicle (not the ideal vehicle but it will fit wife and kids), has 4WD (a big plus here in the Northeast), has better than average off-road ability out of the box (a plus when going on camping trips and wanting to tread lightly off the beaten path), and the best part (WARRANTY.....assuming common sense is used when driving off-road). The nice thing about the warranty is that I am not so much worried about something getting thrashed on the trail, but things happen and many vehicles (even new) have issues. I would rather send my vehicle in and have the "blinker switch" fixed than spend a weekend in the driveway pulling the steering column apart when I could be spending it with family.

I'm assuming the above was what Jeep had in mind when building the Rubicon. Put out a vehicle that is off-road capable right out of the box and let the white collar (no hands dirty) people buy it to enjoy, as well as giving the blue collar workers a platform to build on. Again no vehicle is going to be all things to all people, but I like the thought that at least one company has decided to gear a vehicle towards our "sport". In a time where everybody was getting away from "trail-ready" vehicles, it's nice to see them make an effort to bring them back.
    Hopefully the sales of the Rubicon will be high enough that others will take notice (i.e. If the sales of the Rubicon are poor, that will be another strike against making a trail ready rig, but if they are high, hopefully others will take notice or maybe even Jeep will come out with a vehicle in the years to come even more trail ready in stock form). I guess time will tell.

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with DBLAZER, Jeep will not void the warranty for taking the Rubicon, or any other Jeep vehicle for that matter, off-road. The Rubicon was designed, built, and advertised with the intent of being a capable off-road vehicle. However, the line will be drawn between off-road use versus abuse though when it comes down to it (you will have a hard time making a warranty claim for submerging and hydrolocking the engine in 4 feet of water). Modifications are also another topic. If you slap a set of 38's on it don't expect the dealership to replace axle shafts all of the time if you break them, but on the other hand if the A/C quits working it should still be covered because the modification doesn't directly affect it.

As far as the capability, the only limitation it has is basically tire size...but it has the axle strength and gearing to easily handle bigger tires. It should be able to tackle most pretty serious trails stock, add 33" or 35" tires and you are talking all but the most hardcore stuff.

18. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

That is what I meant. Ofcoarse they wont cover braking axels because of 38's.

Now, as far as it being a good weekend warrior, well, I venture to say that being locked , witha 4 to 1, hell , there isn't much that a capable pilot won't be able to navicate this rig through. Add a little tire and flex, and I beleive it will go damn near anywher you point it. I know that my best freinds wife has piloted her TJ through some nasty stuff. When she was open and on 35's we would get her through the same hrad crap we were doin. It would take more time and patience and more throttle . but in the end she was there at the end of the trail.
    I love my blazer, but like I said I think i am gonna get one for my wife.

19. bigjbear

"hooking up" is not the point of Rubicon. It was designed as a trail Jeep. It was not designed to replace the M715-probably the baddest Jeep of all time, which, other than a serious lack of power it has similar specs as an M1008. It will do what its was designed to very well. Put it on the trails w/ a stock Tahoe and see who fairs better.
    As far as the warrantee goes good Jeep dealers know theese things were built for a purpose and will honor ligt claims. I doubt anyone would honor abuse. Federal law governs what has to be covered under the manufactur's policy. If you modify something on your new truck, say bigger tires, you only loose the warrantee on the affected items. But remember when using an example like tires you have also affected the axles &amp; bearings. If its an extened warrantee then they only have to cover what the contract says, and it can say anything the covering company wants it to, so be careful.
    One last tid-bit. You should not be breaking new trail, so if you stay on existing trails you could not have violated the warrentee. You were on BLM road, a FS road, or even an unimproved county or private road. That is what the goverment calls them so why shouldn't you?

20. bigjbear

After saying all that I would still rather build my own junk /forums/images/icons/cool.gif