Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JEEP vs. My Chev. Need opinions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Nov 27, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Well..I've been having alot of doubts concerning my truck and gas mileage recently.

I looked at cars, and if i had a car i'd want a truck to go offroad.

I have my truck, and i'd like a car for mileage, performance and comfort.

So I say to myself...let's go in between.

Jeep Cherokee.
    Reasonably good performance, more comfortable than my truck, better mileage...just nicer for around town.

I can get a cherokee lifted for a couple hundo and run 32" tires.
    It would be pretty capable, while being more economic and comfortable than my '78 K10.

The skinny on my K10;
    1978, 350, SM465, NP205, d44, 12 blt, 4", 35's.

It's awesome....But it's NOT comfortable and it's NOT economic.

Bear in mind i'm 17 and don't have tons of money for gas. And 17 year olds cruise around a good bit, and that's what i intend on doing.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

gotta go with your strengths.......or preferences. Bottom line its your life, and pocket book. I'm not sure about the reliability factor of Jeeps though.

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya know after you pay for the car, you have pay to register it, insure it, and then maintainence on another vehicle. So your gas bill will drop by $150 when it is all said and done. Its not worth spending that much on another vehicle when you could use all that $$ toward gas for the truck. So in the end you would spend more if you get another vehicle and on top of that you want to lift it and put bigger tires on it which is more $$ and it will also hurt the milage in a Cherokee.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Dont forget the fact that its a heep so any sort of difficult wheeling whatsoever will easily break its small and weak parts.:doah:

Personally....i would never own a heep. They are underpowered, over driven, weak pieces of junk in my opinion.
    -Harrison

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm running a '96 XJ (cherokee) with a 4.0. I get 12mpg around town and 17-18 on the highway. Running 30's and 3.55's.
    My '88 burb, got 10 city/15 highway with 35's and 4.10's.
    Although the Jeep does a little better, it weighs half, but the difference is not that big.
    If your blazer is too big and a jeep will fit your needs then go for it.
    They are both pretty equal reliability, and parts costs, so it really comes down to what you prefer. I don't think gas prices will be much different between the two. Although if you wheel in tight spots, the Jeep is more manueverable.

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

About the wheeling comments, my stock XJ can go most places that my 4" lifted sub went. It all comes down to how well you drive it. Both vehicles are excellent though, so you can't go wrong with whatever you decide!

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Sure there are heeps all over the trails. But if you go somewhere hardcore and look at the capable heeps, 99% are running a chevy 350, 350 trans, 203 or 205, 14ff, D60, etc.
    -Harrison

8. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Well apart from an XJ my only other choice is to drop wheeling and get a car.

I have no idea what to do.

9. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

pick up a cheap beater car to drive that does good on gas... an older toy would be pretty nice for that. reliable and economic.

10. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I got my 60mpg motorcycle for most of where I go. Fun to ride and rediculously cheap on gas

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i dont know many people that have NOT had real reliability problems with cherokees. they are comfy, and offered engines are great, but i dont think i would EVER want one for a daily.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thats what i did. Couldnt afford gas on the blazer anymore, so i picked up a cheap car that does good on gas. Actually its an old diesel...but you get the idea. Still wheel the blazer, just dont drive it around town very often.
    -Harrison

13. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Another vote against the Cherokee. Most people I know with them get worse mileage than my truck. If you are looking for something with cheap insurance and good mileage get an older 4 cylinder car.

14. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

'99 Xj

My '99 XJ is stock with 118K miles. It gets 15 mpg city 17mpg highway @80mph. Under the extended warranty I had the radiator, exhaust manifold, rear main seal, front ring and pinion, carrier bearings and dashboard wiring harness. All in all it is still a great wannabe little truck.
    On the otherhand I couldn't deal with the mileage from my '70 Jimmy so I'm putting in a 6.0 liter and a 700R4 with the hopes of getting 15mpg.

15. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i found a geo metro 3 cyl for 600 and it got about 40 mpg. it was much ugly but definately conversation piece when i would say that my blazer and the metro were mine 4.5 feet vs 7 feet

16. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

The only advantage a Cherokee has over us is it gets into tighter spaces. Milage is not much if any better.

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You should get a Honda Civic.... they are good for cruising around.

The fuel savings will allow you to buy a big exhaust tip, decklid wing and maybe even the "Powered By Honda" windshield sticker almost immediately. In the months that follow, you can put the extra savings into more stickers and a really wavy, ill-fitting fiberglass body kit.

If you don't believe me, check out YouTube sometime.....there are lots of videos of Civics there. Most of them go faster than Corvettes.

:D

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have to time to cruise around a good bit, then you have time to get a job. you would save on gas and have more money. its a win-win.

19. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

x2, with the extra money you`ll have to shell out to buy, insure, etc....another vehicle would not be worth getting rid of your Chevy...thats practically a diss to us man, what are you thinking:crazy:

20. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I have cash coming in Feb when I turn 18 from various bank accounts. That's why I'm trying to decide now what a good option would be.

And alot of you guys are right. The mileage in a cherokee won't be that much better. Not enough to be buying another rig.

I guess I'm gonna be keeping my truck or finding a car..which is very sad.