Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jeep waggy axles

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by OffRoadOhio, Apr 26, 2003.

1. OffRoadOhio

OffRoadOhio Registered Member

Ok, Here are the numbers off of my axle housings. Which are supposed to be D 44's out of a 78 waggy.
    Rear:
    US PAT
    and
    44-1

Front:
    0-53789
    and
    30-1

Can anyone tell me what these #'s mean?
    I bought a gasket for a front d 44 from a 78 waggy to day, and it didnt fit, I ended up having to get a gasket for a 66-67 v6 CJ5, and it says they are for spicer 30's. Could the front be a spicer 30 and the rear be dana 44? Both axles housings look identicle, and both have drum brakes. I checked the gears and when I divided ring and pinion I got 3.307, for both rear ends, so I do know the gears match

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, the front axle is a Dana 30

3. OffRoadOhio

both are also 5 lug and front is closed knuckle

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

sounds about right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 78 Wagoneer should have D44's front and rear. My buddies 76 did. They shouldn't be 5 lug though. They should be six's like a 1/2ton Chevy. We used my spare tire from my K5 to put on his and get him home one night when he blew a tire.

Sounds like someone my have sold you some axles out of an old CJ5 or something.

6. OffRoadOhio

I did some research at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jjacobs149917/fsj_faq.htm and it says dana 27's were used up until 70, so unless its older than a 70 waggy, they cant be d 27. it also says d 44's ahd closed knuckles and where 5 lug until 73. but it doesnt say if the d 30 did or not. It also says dana 44's where used on all light duty full size jeeps until 79, and from 89 till the end of production. 80-86 used AMC 20's. which means mine is a 44 in the rear for sure. wagoneers didnt have d44's in front until 74. they used 30's from 71-73, and 27's from 70 back. in 1962-65 27's where IFS, and the 44 was also avaible as IFS.

7. OffRoadOhio

also

Ok I found a picture of a 2 piece rear d 44,
    [​IMG]
    Mine is slightly offset, and doesnt have the caps on the end of the shafts for the nut.
    Mine looks like this
    [​IMG]
    also found a pic of a 27, and 30, Mine looks like a 27,
    [​IMG]
    but instead of one joint bar for the steering, I have 2 seperate bars like the dana 30 [​IMG]
    My housing says 30-1, and I was told that is the model number, but yet the page I found these pics at said 30's didnt have closed knuckles. I also found a pic of a 72 jeep.
    []http://www.ifsja.org/readers/wagoneers/pictures/tucker1.jpg[/img]
    And it looks just like the jeep I got the axles from. Same color and all. with d30 front and 44 rear.