Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

jeep wagoneer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Dec 20, 2001.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i know, i know, what am i thinking even typing a word like jeep, but the truth is my k5 is in desparate need of some work. the problem is i don't as of yet have a second vehicle. i have the opportunity to buy an 85 wagoneer for 1500, is it worth it are they pretty reliable. don't really care about looks and all. it can all be fixed later. thanks

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had a 74 wagoneer. It was a pretty good rig. It heled up well and did not cost me a whole lot of money to keep it running. The drive train was solid. D44 axles and a T400 trans.. It had Quadratrack it seemed to work well and I had no problems with it. I put a new chain in it after I built a very healthy 401 to push it down the road. Had a small lift and 32" tires.So it wasn't half bad off road. I used it as a Tow rig and for hunting trips for about 3 years. The gas mileage wasn't too good aroung 10 mpg.
    1500 is a fair price for one if it runs good. They aren't too popular anymore so sometimes you can get one in good shape for cheap.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 12/20/01 11:58 AM.</FONT></P>

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input, i too was thinking that i could use the wagoneer for hunting trips, towing, daily driving, etc. don't know if it will be able to pull a 5000 lb ck5 though.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Cant hurt to try pulling the k5. If it blows up then you are only out 1500 bucks after you have beaten it up during finishing the k5. Its definatly worth it to me.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Mine pulled a 22' Fiberform hard top cabin Cruiser On a dual axle trailer. No Problem. It weighed close to 5K pounds. I also towed a 18' travel trailer all over the place with it.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

it is only a J@@P. at our garage/ driveway the rule is all j@@p's must park in the street unless they are broken then they get to sit in the grass but never in the driveway. chevy's only

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I know a couple of guys that have them and they wheel with us regularly, they are solid trucks. My dad had one when we were young, it was a bit underpowered but other than that it was a great truck. I say go for it!

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO!!! I'm not a jeep hater but funny none the less

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out the Colorado Full Size Jeep Association web page at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.cfsja.org>www.cfsja.org</a> There's lots of info there for those tanks! [​IMG]

My very first 4WD was a '71 Wagoneer, so I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have had 2. One was a 85, it was stock loved it but the x case blew up and we sold it. The other one was a 86 with a 8inch lift and 32's. I loved it. They have very strong motors and ride like a dream. I highly reccomend buying one.

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

my dad has had 4 war wagons a 73 81 87 89. most incredible plow vehicle i ever saw, he runs circles around every thing and pushes a 8 1\2 foot myers 4 spring industrial.
    the latest one has 33's STUFFED in the wheel wells, i think he's trying to be like me. its slow as hell, but it pulls a 24' boat at the same speed that it pulls itself around. i hope he doesnt get a hold of this, i have a Wagon-hatin reputation to uphld around the house.

actually.....i drove it to work today....dont tell him

wheelers hate posers.
    79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.torkpig.homestead.com>http://www.torkpig.homestead.com</a>

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Most likely it will have a 360 in it. They are good torque motors. I had a "built" 401 in my Cherokee.

Sometime in '79 Jeep went to a TF 727 trans. I had a '79 Cherokee that had a TH400. I worked on a '79 Waggy that had a 727. It is easy to tell the difference. If the front diff is on the drivers side its a 727. Pass side is a 400. I would just about put money on it having a 727 tho, being it is an '85.

$1500 is a decent price, for a good running Waggy, in decent condition.

I cant find the link at the moment but there is a site out there that specializes in FSJ's, besides the link already mentioned. I will see if I can find it.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

13. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

our family had an...........................86 I believe
    built like a tank......................have posi-trac stock.........we never had it stuck.(and I tried) [​IMG] If it runs good, it's worth the cash in my book.......................in my book it goes chevy, Jeep, Dodge.......everything else..... [​IMG]

<font color=red>81</font color=red><font color=blue>Bogger<font color=blue>
    "<font color=blue>Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...<font color=blue>" [​IMG]

14. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I love the full size Wagoneers and Cherokee's, I currently have '64 and '66 Wags and used to have a '77 Cherokee. They're actually pretty easy to find body parts for since the body style stayed pretty much the same from '63 to '91. Buy it if you haven't already.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA